“OH! WOW!” DAY OF REST
(If you’re not able to see this entire post just click on the title above.)
“Today is the most “OH! WOW!” of all days. Today is Resurrection Sunday. <>< Dona (04/12/20)
Jesus Has Risen
(Matt. 28:1-7/Mark 16:1-8/Luke 24:1-12/John 20:1-9)
In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb.
And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow: And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men.
And the angel answered and said unto the women, “Fear not: for I know that you seek Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here: for He is risen, as He said. Come, see the place where the Lord laid. And go quickly, and tell His disciples that He is risen from the dead; and, behold, He goes before you into Galilee; there shall you see Him: lo, I have told you.”
Notes: The stone was not rolled back so Jesus could get out, but so others could get in and see that Jesus had indeed risen from the dead, just as He had promised.
The angel who announced the good news of the resurrection to the women gave them four messages:
(1) Do not be afraid. [The reality of the resurrection brings joy, not fear.]
(2) Jesus is not here. He is alive.
(3) Come and see. [The women could check the evidence themselves.]
(4) Go quickly and tell. [They were to spread the joy of the resurrection.]
The four messages for us are:
(1) When we’re afraid, we need to remember the empty tomb.
(2) Jesus is not dead and He is not to be looked for among the dead. He is alive.
(3) The tomb was empty then, and it is empty today. (The resurrection is a historical fact.)
(4) We too are to spread the great news about Jesus’ resurrection.
Jesus’ resurrection is the key to the Christian faith. Just as He promised, Jesus rose from the dead.
We can be confident, therefore, that He will accomplish all He has promised. Jesus’ bodily resurrection shows us that the living Christ is ruler of God’s eternal kingdom, not a false prophet or imposter.
We can be certain of our resurrection because Jesus was resurrected. Death is not the end – there is future life.
The power that brought Jesus back to life is available to us. The resurrection is the basis for the church’s witness to the world. Jesus is more than just a human leader; He is the Son of God.
“If you haven’t already, perhaps today would be a good day to meet with God through prayer and receive that assurance of your future destination.” <>< Dona