08/25/21 THE WORD
Scripture: I Thessalonians 1
(If you cannot view this entire post just click on the title above.)
READ and STUDY the WORD
1 Thessalonians 1:1-10 (WEB) 1 Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy, to the assembly of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 2 We always give thanks to God for all of you, mentioning you in our prayers, 3 remembering without ceasing your work of faith and labor of love and perseverance of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, before our God and Father. 4 We know, brothers loved by God, that you are chosen, 5 and that our Good News came to you not in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit, and with much assurance. You know what kind of men we showed ourselves to be among you for your sake. 6 You became imitators of us and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Spirit, 7 so that you became an example to all who believe in Macedonia and in Achaia. 8 For from you the word of the Lord has been declared, not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place your faith toward God has gone out, so that we need not to say anything. 9 For they themselves report concerning us what kind of a reception we had from you, and how you turned to God from idols, to serve a living and true God, 10 and to wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead: Jesus, who delivers us from the wrath to come.
Questions and Answers:
1. What did Paul say he and those with him always did for the Thessalonian believers (I Thessalonians 1:2-3)? Paul said they always gave thanks to God for all of them, mentioning them in their prayers, remembering before God their work of faith, their labor of love and their perseverance of hope in the Lord Jesus Christ.
2. What did Paul say he knew about the Thessalonian believers (I Thessalonians 1:4)? Paul said he knew they were chosen.
3. How did the Good News come to them (I Thessalonians 1:5)? The Good News came to them not only in word but in power, and in the Holy Spirit and with much assurance (deep conviction).
4. Who had the Thessalonians imitated and what was the results (I Thessalonians 1:6-7)? The Thessalonians had become imitators of Paul, those with him and the Lord. The Thessalonians had received the word in much affliction (in spite of severe suffering), with joy of the Holy Spirit so that they had become an example to all who believed in Macedonia and in Achaia.
5. Where else did Paul say the Thessalonians’ faith was known (I Thessalonians 1:8)? The Thessalonians’ faith in God had become known everywhere.
6. What were others saying about the Thessalonians (I Thessalonians 1:9-10)? Others were telling of the kind of reception Paul and his fellow brothers had received. And how the Thessalonians had turned to God from idols, to serve a living and true God and to wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead: Jesus who delivered them from the wrath to come.
HEAR the WORD
I Thessalonians 1:6-10 (NIV) You became imitators of us and of the Lord; in spirt of severe suffering, you welcomed the message with the joy given by the Holy Spirit. And so you became a model to all the believers in Macedonia and Achaia. The Lord’s message rang out from you not only in Macedonia and Achaia – your faith in God has become known everywhere. Therefore, we do not need to say anything about it for they themselves report what kind of reception you gave us. They tell how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God and to wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead – Jesus, who rescues us from the coming wrath.
MEDITATE on the WORD
Ponder the above verses. What would others say about our faith in God? Is our life worth imitating?
MEMORIZE the WORD
I Thessalonians 1:3 We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.
LOVE and LIVE the WORD
I purpose to respond to the Good News as the Thessalonians did: turn to God, serve God and wait for His Son, Christ Jesus’ return.
TEACH and SHARE the WORD
I purpose to live my life in a way that points others to Jesus.
PRAY the WORD
Lord, I thank You for all those in my family who are following You right now. I pray that those who haven’t yet made that decision will do so today (I Thessalonians 1:2-3). Lord, I pray Your Word will come to all of us with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction (I Thessalonians 1:4). Lord, I pray we will welcome Your message with the joy given by the Holy Spirit (I Thessalonians 1:6). Lord, I pray our faith in You will become known everywhere (I Thessalonians 1:7-8). Again I pray for those who don’t yet know You, that they will turn to You, serve You and look forward to Your Son’s return (I Thessalonians 1:9-10). In His name I pray. AMEN.
“May you and I stay aware of how we come across to both the saved and the unsaved.” <>< Dona