06/21/21 THE WORD
Scripture: I Corinthians 2
(If you cannot view this entire post just click on the title above.)
READ and STUDY the WORD
Wisdom From The Spirit
1 Corinthians 2:1-16 (WEB) When I came to you, brothers, I didn’t come with excellence of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. 2 For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 3 I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. 4 My speech and my preaching were not in persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 that your faith wouldn’t stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. 6 We speak wisdom, however, among those who are full grown, yet a wisdom not of this world nor of the rulers of this world who are coming to nothing. 7 But we speak God’s wisdom in a mystery, the wisdom that has been hidden, which God foreordained before the worlds for our glory, 8 which none of the rulers of this world has known. For had they known it, they wouldn’t have crucified the Lord of glory. 9 But as it is written, “Things which an eye didn’t see, and an ear didn’t hear, which didn’t enter into the heart of man, these God has prepared for those who love Him.” 10 But to us, God revealed them through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. 11 For who among men knows the things of a man, except the spirit of the man, which is in him? Even so, no one knows the things of God, except God’s Spirit. 12 But we received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit which is from God, that we might know the things that were freely given to us by God. 13 We also speak these things, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches, but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual things. 14 Now the natural man doesn’t receive the things of God’s Spirit, for they are foolishness to him, and he can’t know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 But he who is spiritual discerns all things, and he himself is judged by no one. 16 “For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he should instruct Him?” But we have Christ’s mind.
Questions and Answers:
1. With what did Paul not come declaring the testimony of God (I Corinthians 2:1)? Paul said he did not come with excellency of speech or of wisdom declaring the testimony of God.
2. What did Paul determine to know (I Corinthians 2:2)? Paul determined to know Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.
3. How did Paul come to them (I Corinthians 2:3-4)? Paul was with them in weakness, fear and much trembling. His speech and his preaching were not with enticing words and man’s wisdom, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power.
4. What did Paul say about the Corinthians’ faith (I Corinthians 2:5)? Paul said their faith should not stand in (rest on) the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
5. What did Paul say about God’s wisdom (I Corinthians 2:7-8)? Paul said they were speaking of God’s secret wisdom, a wisdom that had been hidden and that God destined for their glory before time began. He said none of the princes of their world understood it: for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
6. What has God revealed to us by His Spirit (I Corinthians 2:9-10a)? God has revealed to us by His Spirit those things He has prepared for us who love Him.
7. What does the Spirit search (I Corinthians 2:10b-11)? The Spirit searches all things, the deep things of God.
8. Why have we received the Spirit of God (I Corinthians 2:12)? We have received the Spirit of God so we might know the things that are freely given to us by God.
9. How can we express spiritual truths in spiritual words (I Corinthians 2:13)? We can express spiritual truths when we speak with words taught by the Holy Spirit.
10. Why can’t the natural man receive the things of the Spirit of God (I Corinthians 2:14)? The natural man doesn’t receive the things of the Spirit of God for they are foolishness to him and he cannot understand them because they are spiritually discerned.
HEAR the WORD
I Corinthians 2:15-16 (KJV) 15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. 16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct Him? but we have the mind of Christ.
1 Corinthians 2:15-16 (TLB) 15 But the spiritual man has insight into everything, and that bothers and baffles the man of the world, who can’t understand him at all. 16 How could he? For certainly he has never been one to know the Lord’s thoughts, or to discuss them with Him, or to move the hands of God by prayer. But, strange as it seems, we Christians actually do have within us a portion of the very thoughts and mind of Christ.
1 Corinthians 2:15-16 (AMP) 15 But the spiritual man [the spiritually mature Christian] judges all things [questions, examines and applies what the Holy Spirit reveals], yet is himself judged by no one [the unbeliever cannot judge and understand the believer’s spiritual nature]. 16 For who has known the mind and purposes of the Lord, so as to instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ [to be guided by His thoughts and purposes].
MEDITATE on the WORD
Ponder the verses above. No one can absolutely understand all there is to know about God. But through the guidance of the Holy Spirit we believers can discover and understand some of God’s plans, thoughts and actions.
MEMORIZE the WORD
I Corinthians 2:12 (NIV) We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us.
LOVE and LIVE the WORD
Through the Holy Spirit we can know, love, and live God’s plan. Though to hear from God we must spend time with Him.
TEACH and SHARE the WORD
Every chance you get, share God with others.
PRAY the WORD
Lord, I pray we will know You (I Corinthians 2:1). Lord, I pray we will know Your Son, Jesus Christ (I Corinthians 2:2). Lord, I pray our faith will rest on You alone (I Corinthians 2:5). Lord, I pray we will receive and live according to Your wisdom (I Corinthians 2:7). Lord, I pray we will know the Holy Spirit (I Corinthians 2:10). Lord, I pray we will speak with words from the Holy Spirit (I Corinthians 2:13). Lord, thank You for giving us the mind of Christ (I Corinthians 2:16). In His name I pray. AMEN.
“May you and I seek to know and follow the Lord.” <>< Dona