06/02/21 THE WORD
Scripture: Romans 2
(If you cannot view this entire post just click on the title above.)
READ and STUDY the WORD
God’s Righteous Judgment
Romans 2:1-16 (WEB) Therefore you are without excuse, O man, whoever you are who judge. For in that which you judge another, you condemn yourself. For you who judge practice the same things. 2 We know that the judgment of God is according to truth against those who practice such things. 3 Do you think this, O man who judges those who practice such things, and do the same, that you will escape the judgment of God? 4 Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and patience, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance? 5 But according to your hardness and unrepentant heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath, revelation, and of the righteous judgment of God; 6 who “will pay back to everyone according to their works:” 7 to those who by perseverance in well-doing seek for glory, honor, and incorruptibility, eternal life; 8 but to those who are self-seeking, and don’t obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, will be wrath, indignation, 9 oppression, and anguish on every soul of man who does evil, to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. 10 But glory, honor, and peace go to every man who does good, to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God. 12 For as many as have sinned without the law will also perish without the law. As many as have sinned under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it isn’t the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law will be justified 14 (for when Gentiles who don’t have the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience testifying with them, and their thoughts among themselves accusing or else excusing them) 16 in the day when God will judge the secrets of men, according to my Good News, by Jesus Christ.
Questions and Answers:
1. Why shouldn’t we judge others (Romans 2:1)? There is no excuse for passing judgment on someone for at whatever point we judge the other, we are condemning ourselves because we do the same things.
2. On what is God’s judgment based (Romans 2:2)? God’s judgment is based on truth.
3. What should one who judges another’s actions, yet does the same things, realize (Romans 2:3)? One who passes judgment on another and yet does the same things should realize they will not escape God’s judgment.
4. Instead of showing contempt for God’s kindness, tolerance and patience what should we realize (Romans 2:4)? Instead of showing contempt for God’s goodness (kindness), forbearance (tolerance) and longsuffering (patience) we should realize that God’s goodness (kindness) leads us toward repentance.
5. What could a person be treasuring up (storing up) because of their hardness (stubbornness) and their impenitent (unrepentant) heart (Romans 2:5)? A person who is stubborn and has an unrepentant heart is storing up wrath against the day of God’s wrath, when His righteous judgment will be revealed.
6. What will God do on that day (Romans 2:6-10)? God will render to every man according to his deeds. To those who do good He will give eternal life. To those who are contentious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath there will be tribulation and anguish, upon every soul that does evil. But glory, honour and peace to every man that does good.
7. Who will perish without the law and who will be judged by the law (Romans 2:12)? Those who have sinned without the law will perish without the law. Those who have sinned in the law will be judged by the law.
8. Who will be justified and who won’t be justified (Romans 2:13)? The hearers of the law are not just before God. It is the doers of the law will be justified.
9. Where can we find the requirements of the law (Romans 2:14-15)? The work of the law is written in our hearts, our conscience bears witness and our thoughts accuse or excuse.
10. One day what will God judge by (through) Jesus Christ (Romans 2:16). God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ.
The Jews And The Law
Romans 2:17-29 (WEB) 17 Indeed you bear the name of a Jew, rest on the law, glory in God, 18 know His will, and approve the things that are excellent, being instructed out of the law, 19 and are confident that you yourself are a guide of the blind, a light to those who are in darkness, 20 a corrector of the foolish, a teacher of babies, having in the law the form of knowledge and of the truth. 21 You therefore who teach another, don’t you teach yourself? You who preach that a man shouldn’t steal, do you steal? 22 You who say a man shouldn’t commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? 23 You who glory in the law, do you dishonor God by disobeying the law? 24 For “the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you,” just as it is written. 25 For circumcision indeed profits, if you are a doer of the law, but if you are a transgressor of the law, your circumcision has become uncircumcision. 26 If therefore the uncircumcised keep the ordinances of the law, won’t his uncircumcision be accounted as circumcision? 27 Won’t the uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfills the law, judge you, who with the letter and circumcision are a transgressor of the law? 28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, neither is that circumcision which is outward in the flesh; 29 but he is a Jew who is one inwardly, and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit not in the letter; whose praise is not from men, but from God.
Questions and Answers:
1.What scriptures from the above passage sum it up (Romans 2:25-29)? 25 Circumcision has value if you observe the law, but if you break the law, you have become as though you had not been circumcised. 26 So then, if those who are not circumcised keep the law’s requirements, will they not be regarded as though they were circumcised? 27 The one who is not circumcised physically and yet obeys the law will condemn you who, even though you have the written code and circumcision, are a lawbreaker.
HEAR the WORD
Romans 2:11 (NIV) God does not show favoritism.
MEDITATE on the WORD
My Bible: We don’t know when God’s final judgment will happen, but we know that no one will escape that final encounter with the Creator.
MEMORIZE the WORD
Romans 2:13 (NIV) For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.
LOVE and LIVE the WORD
If I want to prove my love for God’s Word I must obey (live) God’s Word.
TEACH and SHARE the WORD
If I love God’s Word and obey God’s Word my example may encourage others.
PRAY the WORD
Lord, I pray we will not pass judgment on others but will seek to obey You fully (Romans 2:1-3). Thank You Lord for leading us toward repentance (Romans 2:4). Lord, I pray we will persistent in doing good (Romans 2:7). Lord, I pray we will obey Your law and therefore be declared righteous (Romans 2:13). Lord, I pray we will learn and do what you expect of us (Romans 2:21). Lord, I pray You will circumcise our heart (Romans 2:29). In Christ Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN.
“May you and I live a life of obedience to God.” <>< Dona