04/10/21 THE WORD
Scripture: John 17:1-26
(If you cannot view this entire post just click on the title above.)
READ and STUDY the WORD
Jesus Prays For Himself
John 17:1-5 (KJV) These words spake Jesus, and lifted up His eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify Thy Son, that Thy Son also may glorify Thee: 2 As Thou hast given Him power over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as Thou hast given Him. 3 And this is life eternal, that they might know Thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom Thou hast sent. 4 I have glorified Thee on the earth: I have finished the work which Thou gavest Me to do. 5 And now, O Father, glorify Thou Me with Thine own self with the glory which I had with Thee before the world was.
1. What did Jesus do as He began to speak (John 17:1a)?
2. To whom did Jesus speak (John 17:1b)?
3. What did Jesus say (John 17:1c)?
4. What has the Father given the Son power over and why has He done this (John 17:2)?
5. Who does Jesus say the disciples know when they receive eternal life (John 17:3)?
6. What does Jesus tell His Father He (Jesus) has done for Him (John 17:4)?
7. What does Jesus ask His Father to do for Him (John 17:5)?
1. Jesus lifted up His eyes to heaven.
2. Jesus spoke to His Father.
3. Jesus said, “Father, the hour is come; glorify Thy Son, that Thy Son also may glorify Thee.”
4. Jesus has been given power over all flesh, that Jesus should give eternal life to as many as the Father has given Him.
5. They will know the Father, the only true God and Jesus Christ whom He sent.
6. Jesus said, “I have glorified Thee (Father) on the earth: I have finished the work which Thou gavest Me to do.”
Jesus asked, “And now, O Father, glorify Thou Me with Thine own self with the glory which I had with Thee before the world was.”
Jesus Prays For His Disciples
John 17:6-19 (KJV) 6 I have manifested (revealed) Thy name unto the men which Thou gavest Me out of the world: Thine they were, and Thou gavest them Me; and they have kept Thy word. 7 Now they have known that all things whatsoever Thou hast given Me are of Thee. 8 For I have given unto them the words which Thou gavest Me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from Thee, and they have believed that Thou didst send Me. 9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which Thou hast given Me; for they are Thine. 10 And all Mine are Thine, and Thine are Mine; and I am glorified in them. 11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to Thee. Holy Father, keep through Thine own name those whom Thou hast given Me, that they may be one, as We are. 12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Thy name: those that Thou gavest Me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled. 13 And now come I to Thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have My joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them Thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 15 I pray not that Thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that Thou shouldest keep them from the evil. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them through Thy truth: Thy word is truth. 18 As Thou hast sent Me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. 19 And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
1. Who did Jesus make known to His followers (John 17:6)?
2. What did Jesus give to His followers (John 17:8)?
3. For whom did Jesus say He was praying (John 17:9)?
4. Through whom is Jesus glorified (John 17:10)?
5. What did Jesus ask of His Father (John 17:11)?
6. Who did Jesus say He had kept and who had He lost (John 17:12)?
7. Why does the world hate Christ followers (John 17:14)?
8. What did Jesus ask His Father to do (John 17:15)?
9. Who has the Father sent into the world and who has Jesus sent into the world (John 17:18)?
1. Jesus made known His Father to those who the Father had given to Him (Jesus).
2. Jesus gave to His followers the words that His Father had given to Him (Jesus).
3. Jesus said He prayed for those given to Him.
4. Jesus is glorified through all those who belong to Him.
5. Jesus asked, “Holy Father, keep through Thine own name those whom Thou hast given Me, that they may be one, as We are.”
6. Jesus said, “those that Thou gavest Me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.”
7. The world hates believers because they are not of the world, even as Jesus is not of the world.
8. Jesus asked His Father to keep His followers from evil.
9. The Father sent the Son, Jesus into the world, and the Son, Jesus has sent His followers into the world.
Jesus Prays For Future Believers
John 17:20-26 (KJV) 20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on Me through their word; 21 That they all may be one; as Thou, Father, art in Me, and I in Thee, that they also may be one in Us: that the world may believe that Thou hast sent Me. 22 And the glory which Thou gavest Me I have given them; that they may be one, even as We are One: 23 I in them, and Thou in Me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that Thou hast sent Me, and hast loved them, as Thou hast loved Me. 24 Father, I will that they also, whom Thou hast given Me, be with Me where I am; that they may behold My glory, which Thou hast given Me: for Thou lovedst Me before the foundation of the world. 25 O righteous Father, the world hath not known Thee: but I have known Thee, and these have known that Thou hast sent Me. 26 And I have declared unto them Thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith Thou hast loved Me may be in them, and I in them.
1. Besides those who were already following Jesus, for whom else did Jesus pray (John 17:20)?
2. Why did Jesus want the disciples to be one with Him and His Father (John 17:21)?
3. What did Jesus say His Father had given to Him and He had given to His followers (John 17:22)?
4. Since when has the Father loved the Son (John 17:24)?
5. What did Jesus declare unto those who followed Him (John 24:26)?
1. Jesus prayed for those who would believe on Jesus through the words of His followers.
2. Jesus wanted His disciples to be one with Him and His Father so that the world might believe that the Father sent the Son, Jesus.
3. Jesus said, “the glory which Thou gavest Me I have given them.”
4. The Father has loved the Son, Jesus, before the foundation of the world.
5. Jesus declared, “I have declared unto them Thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith Thou hast loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”
HEAR the WORD
John 17:17-19 17 Sanctify them through Thy truth: Thy word is truth. 18 As Thou hast sent Me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. 19 And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
MEDITATE on the WORD
Ponder the above verses. My Bible notes: A follower of Christ becomes sanctified, that is set apart for sacred use, cleansed and made holy through believing and obeying the Word of God (see Hebrews 4:12). He or she has already accepted forgiveness through Christ’s sacrificial death (see Hebrews 7:26-27). But daily application of God’s Word has a purifying effect on our minds and hearts. Scripture points out sin, motivates us to confess, renew our relationship with Christ and guides us back to the right path.
MEMORIZE the WORD
John 17:18 “As Thou hast sent Me (Jesus) into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.”
LOVE and LIVE the WORD
God wants to use us in this world.
TEACH and SHARE the WORD
We are called to be salt and light and we are to do the work that God sent us to do. And one of those things we are called to do is be a witness in this world.
PRAY the WORD
Lord, I pray we will obey Your Word (John 17:6). Lord, I believe You sent Your Son (John 17:8). Lord, I pray You will protect us by the power of Your Name (John 17:11a). Lord, I pray we will be one with You (John 17:11b). Lord, I pray we will have the full measure of Your Son’s joy within us (John 17:13). Lord, I pray You will protect us from the evil one (John 17:15). Lord, I pray we will indeed be one with You and Jesus (John 17:22). Lord, I pray we will be brought to complete unity (John 17:23). Lord, I pray we will always be in Your presence (John 17:26). In Christ Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN.
“May you and I be both salt and light to those around us.” <>< Dona