04/08/21 THE WORD
Scripture: John 15:1-17; John 15:18-16:4
(If you cannot view this entire post just click on the title above.)
READ and STUDY the WORD
Jesus Teaches About The Vine And The Branches
John 15:1-17 (KJV) I am the true vine, and My Father is the husbandman (gardener). 2 Every branch in Me that beareth not fruit He taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, He purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. 3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in Me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in Me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without Me ye can do nothing. 6 If a man abide not in Me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If ye abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. 8 Herein is My Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be My disciples. 9 As the Father hath loved Me, so have I loved you: continue ye in My love. 10 If ye keep My commandments, ye shall abide in My love; even as I have kept My Father’s commandments, and abide in His love. 11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. 12 This is My commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. 13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. 14 Ye are My friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. 15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of My Father I have made known unto you. 16 Ye have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in My name, He may give it you. 17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.
1. Who does Jesus say is the true vine and the husbandman (John 15:1)?
2. What is done with every branch that doesn’t bear fruit and every branch that does bear fruit (John 15:2)?
3. Who brings forth much fruit (John 15:5b)?
4. What is the benefit of abiding with Jesus and having His word in us (John 15:7)?
5. What does Jesus say is the Father’s glory (John 15:8)?
6. What will we abide in if we keep the Lord’s commandments (John 15:10)?
7. What did Jesus say was His commandment (John 15:12)?
8. Who does Jesus say is His friend (John 15:14)?
9. Who does Jesus say He has chosen and ordained and why has He made this choice (John 15:16)?
1. Jesus is the true vine and His Father is the husbandman.
2. Every branch that doesn’t bear fruit is taken away and every branch that does bear fruit is purged (pruned) so it may bring forth more fruit.
3. Those who abide with Jesus bring forth much fruit but those without Jesus can do nothing.
4. When we abide with Jesus and His words abide in us we shall ask what we will and it shall be done unto us.
5. When we bear much fruit we bring glory to the Father and show we are Jesus’ disciples.
6. If we keep Jesus’ commandments, we shall abide in His love; even as Jesus has kept His Father’s commandments, and abide in His love.
7. Jesus said, “This is My commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.”
8. Jesus said, “Ye are My friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.”
9. Jesus said, “Ye have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in My name, He may give it you.”
Jesus Warns About The World’s Hatred
John 15:18-27 (KJV) 18 If the world hates you, ye know that it hated Me before it hated you. 19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. 20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted Me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept My saying, they will keep yours also. 21 But all these things will they do unto you for My name’s sake, because they know not Him that sent Me. 22 If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloak for their sin. 23 He that hateth Me hateth My Father also. 24 If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both Me and My Father. 25 But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated Me without a cause. 26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, He shall testify of Me: 27 And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with Me from the beginning.
John 16:1-4 These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended. 2 They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service. 3 And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor Me. 4 But these things have I told you, that when the time shall come, ye may remember that I told you of them. And these things I said not unto you at the beginning, because I was with you.
1. Who did the world hate first (John 15:18)?
2. Who else does the world hate (John 15:19)?
3. Why does the world persecute those who follow Jesus (John 15:20-21)?
4. When the world saw Jesus’ miracles what was their response (John 15:24)?
5. Who does Jesus say will testify of Him (John 15:26-27; John 16:3)?
6. Why will some people mistreat, even kill, those who follow Jesus (John 16:1-3)?
1. The world hated Jesus first.
2. Those who are not of this world. Those Jesus has chosen out of the world.
3. Because they know not who sent Jesus the world will persecute those who follow Him.
4. The world hates both Jesus and His Father.
5. Jesus said, “when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, He shall testify of Me; And ye (the disciples) also shall bear witness, because ye (the disciples) have been with Me from the beginning.”
6. Some will mistreat and even kill Jesus’ disciples because they have not known the Father, nor Jesus.
HEAR the WORD
John 15:11 (NIV) Jesus said, “I have told you this so that My joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.”
MEDITATE on the WORD
Ponder the above verse. My Bible notes: True joy transcends the rolling waves of circumstances. Joy comes from a consistent relationship with Jesus Christ. When our lives are intertwined with Jesus’ He will help us walk through adversity without sinking into debilitating lows and manage prosperity without moving into deceptive highs. The joy of living with Jesus Christ daily will keep us levelheaded, no matter how high or low our circumstances.
MEMORIZE the WORD
LOVE and LIVE the WORD
We may not sacrifice our lives for someone but there are other ways to practice sacrificial love: listening, helping, encouraging, giving.
TEACH and SHARE the WORD
Think of someone in particular who needs this kind of love today. Give all the love you can and then try to give a little more.
PRAY the WORD
Lord, I pray we will bear fruit by abiding with You (John 15:4). Lord, I pray we will love both You and Your Son (John 15:9-10). Lord, I pray we will love one another (John 15:12-13). Lord, I pray we will faithfully testify of You (John 15:26-27). In Christ Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN.
“May you and I bear much fruit for the Lord.” <>< Dona