03/24/21 THE WORD
Scripture: John 12:37-43; John 12:44-50
(If you cannot view this entire post just click on the title above.)
READ and STUDY the WORD
Most Of The People Don’t Believe in Jesus
John 12:37-43 (KJV) 37 But though Jesus had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on Him: 38 That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed? 39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again, 40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them. 41 These things said Esaias, when he saw His (Jesus’) glory, and spake of Him. 42 Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on Him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess Him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue: 43 For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.
1. What was the response of those who saw Jesus’ miracles (John 12:37)?
2. What did Esaias (Isaiah) say about the eyes and heart of the people (John 12:40)?
3. Who secretly believe on Jesus (John 12:42)?
4. What did they love (John 12:43)?
1. Though Jesus did many miracles, those who saw didn’t believe on Him.
2. Esaias said God blinded their eyes and hardened their heart so they couldn’t see or understand. And they wouldn’t be converted or healed.
3. Many of the chief rulers believed on Jesus, but didn’t confess Him because the Pharisees might put them out of the synagogue.
4. They loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.
Jesus Summarizes His Message
John 12:44-50 (KJV) 44 Jesus cried and said, He that believeth on Me, believeth not on Me, but on Him that sent Me. 45 And he that seeth Me seeth Him that sent Me. 46 I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on Me should not abide in darkness. 47 And if any man hear My words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. 48 He that rejecteth Me, and receiveth not My words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day. 49 For I have not spoken of Myself; but the Father which sent Me, he gave Me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. 50 And I know that His commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto Me, so I speak.
1. When we believe in Jesus who are we also believing in (John 12:44)?
2. When we see Jesus who else are we seeing (John 12:45)?
3. Who will not abide in darkness (John 12:46)?
4. What did Jesus not come to the world to do (John 12:47a)?
5. What did Jesus come to the world to do (John 12:47b)?
6. What will condemn/judge those who reject Jesus (John 12:48)?
7. Who told Jesus what to say (John 12:49)?
8. According to Jesus what is life everlasting (John 12:50)?
1. We are believing both in Jesus and the One who sent Him.
2. We are seeing both Jesus and the One who sent Him.
3. We will not abide in darkness if we believe on Jesus.
4. Jesus came not to judge the world.
5. Jesus came to save the world.
6. The very word of Jesus will condemn/judge those who reject Him.
7. The Father told Jesus what to say, what to speak.
8. God’s commandment is life everlasting.
HEAR the WORD
John 12:37-40 37 But though Jesus had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on Him: 38 That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed? 39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again, 40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.
MEDITATE on the WORD
Ponder this verse. At first I thought “why would Jesus blind their eyes and harden their heart.” But then I read my Bible notes: People in Jesus’ time wouldn’t believe despite the evidence (see verse 37). As a result, God hardened their hearts. This doesn’t mean God intentionally prevented these people from believing in Him. It simply confirmed their own choices. After a lifetime of resisting God, they had become so set in their ways that they wouldn’t even try to understand Jesus’ message. Such were those in this passage.
MEMORIZE the WORD
John 12:44 Then Jesus cried out, “When a man believes in Me, he does not believe in Me only, but in the one who sent Me.”
LOVE and LIVE the WORD
Is your heart open and receptive to Jesus’ words?
TEACH and SHARE the WORD
If so, are you sharing what you’ve learned thus far?
PRAY the WORD
Lord, I pray our eyes and our hearts will be fully open and receptive to Your Word (John 12:37-38). Lord, I pray we boldly and confidently share our faith with those around us (John 12:42-43). Lord, thank You for Your light (John 12:46). Lord, thank You for saving us (John 12:47). Lord, I pray we will indeed believe everyone word You speak (John 12:49-50). In Christ Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN.
“May you and I receive the Word, believe the Word and speak the Word.” <>< Dona