03/23/21 THE WORD
Scripture: John 12:20-36
(If you cannot view this entire post just click on the title above.)
READ and STUDY the WORD
Jesus Explains Why He Must Die
John 12:20-36 (KJV) 20 And there were certain Greeks among them that came up to worship at the feast: 21 The same came therefore to Philip, which was of Bethsaida of Galilee, and desired him, saying, Sir, we would see Jesus. 22 Philip cometh and telleth Andrew: and again Andrew and Philip tell Jesus. 23 And Jesus answered them, saying, The hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified. 24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. 25 He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. If any man serve Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there shall also My servant be: if any man serve Me, him will My Father honour. 27 Now is My soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save Me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour. 28 Father, glorify Thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again. 29 The people therefore, that stood by, and heard it, said that it thundered: others said, An angel spake to Him. 30 Jesus answered and said, This voice came not because of Me, but for your sakes. 31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out. 32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto Me. 33 This He said, signifying what death He should die. 34 The people answered Him, We have heard out of the law that Christ abideth for ever: and how sayest Thou, The Son of man must be lifted up? who is this Son of man? 35 Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth. 36 While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide Himself from them.
1. What do you believe Jesus meant by “the hour is come” (John 12:23)?
2. When will a corn of wheat bring forth fruit (John 12:24)?
3. Who shall lose his life and who shall keep his life (John 12:25)?
4. If we want to serve Jesus what must we do (John 12:26)?
5. What does Jesus say He wants His Father to do (John 12:28)?
6. According to Jesus why did the Father speak (John 12:30)?
7. What would Jesus being crucified accomplish (John 12:32)?
8. When were Jesus’ followers to walk (John 12:35)?
9. What were they to believe in and why (John 12:36)?
1. I believe when Jesus said “the hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified” He was speaking of the beginning of all He was going to go through for you and me – His arrest, His beatings, His crucifixion, His death, His resurrection. (Glorified – to give honor, praise, worship and exaltation)
2. A corn of wheat will bring forth fruit when it falls to the ground and dies.
3. Jesus said, “He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.”
4. If we want to serve Jesus we must follow Him.
5. Jesus wanted His Father to glorify His name.
6. Jesus said the Father spoke audibly not because of Him, but for the sake of those listening.
7. Jesus’ crucifixion would draw all men unto Him.
8. Jesus’ followers were to walk while there was still light.
9. Jesus’ followers were to believe in the light so that they might be the children of light.
HEAR the WORD
John 12:31 “Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.”
MEDITATE on the WORD
Ponder this verse. Who is the prince of this world? My Bible notes: The prince of this world is satan, an angel who rebelled against God. Satan is real, not symbolic, and he is constantly working against God and those who obey God. Jesus is much more powerful than satan. Jesus’ resurrection shattered satan’s power (see Colossians 1:13-14).
MEMORIZE the WORD
John 12:26 (NIV) Jesus said, “Whoever serves Me must follow Me; and where I am, My servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves Me.”
LOVE and LIVE the WORD
When we choose to serve Jesus we are choosing to follow Him wherever He leads.
TEACH and SHARE the WORD
If we are serving and following Jesus we can’t help but share our faith.
PRAY the WORD
Lord, I pray we will be productive in Your kingdom (John 12:24). Lord, I pray we will serve and follow You wherever You lead (John 12:26). Lord, thank You for drawing us to Yourself (John 12:32). Lord, I pray the light You’ve shone in us will shine through us and reveal a life dedicated to You (John 12:36). In Christ Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN.
“May you and I shine brightly for Jesus.” <>< Dona