02/25/21 THE WORD
Scripture: John 8:21-30; John 8:31-47; John 8:48-59
(If you cannot view this entire post just click on the title above.)
READ and STUDY the WORD
Jesus Warns Of Coming Judgment
John 8:21-30 (KJV) 21 Then said Jesus again unto them, I go My way, and ye shall seek Me, and shall die in your sins: whither I go, ye cannot come. 22 Then said the Jews, Will He kill Himself? because He saith, Whither I go, ye cannot come. 23 And He said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world. 24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am He, ye shall die in your sins. 25 Then said they unto Him, Who art Thou? And Jesus saith unto them, Even the same that I said unto you from the beginning. 26 I have many things to say and to judge of you: but He that sent Me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of Him. 27 They understood not that He spake to them of the Father. 28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am He, and that I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father hath taught Me, I speak these things. 29 And He that sent Me is with Me: the Father hath not left Me alone; for I do always those things that please Him. 30 As He spake these words, many believed on Him.
1. What did Jesus say (John 8:23-24)?
2. Where did Jesus say He was from (John 8:23)?
3. Who did Jesus say was from this world (John 8:23)?
4. Who will die in their sins and why (John 8:24)?
5. When would they recognize who Jesus truly was (John 8:28)?
6. Who was with Jesus (John 8:29)?
7. Who believed on Jesus (John 8:30)?
1. Jesus said, “Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world. I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am He, ye shall die in your sins.”
2. Jesus said He was from above.
3. Jesus said the Jews were from this world.
4. The Jews will die in their sins if they didn’t believe in Jesus.
5. After they crucified Him, they would truly recognize who Jesus truly was.
6. God, the Father was with Jesus.
7. Many believed on Jesus.
Jesus Speaks About God’s True Children
John 8:31-47 (KJV) 31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on Him, If ye continue in My word, then are ye My disciples indeed; 32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. 33 They answered Him, We be Abraham’s seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest Thou, Ye shall be made free? 34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. 35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. 36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. 37 I know that ye are Abraham’s seed; but ye seek to kill Me, because My word hath no place in you. 38 I speak that which I have seen with My Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father. 39 They answered and said unto Him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham’s children, ye would do the works of Abraham. 40 But now ye seek to kill Me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham. 41 Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to Him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God. 42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love Me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of Myself, but He sent Me. 43 Why do ye not understand My speech? even because ye cannot hear My word. 44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. 45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe Me not. 46 Which of you convinceth Me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe Me? 47 He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.
1. If the Jews continue in Jesus’ Word what would they become (John 8:31)?
2. What will they then know (John 8:32)?
3. What would the Jews do if God were their Father (John 8:42)?
4. Why would they love Jesus (John 8:42)?
5. Who hears God’s Words (John 8:47)?
1. If the Jews continue in Jesus’ Word they would become Jesus’ disciples.
2. They will know the truth, and the truth will set them free.
3. The Jews would love Jesus if God were their Father.
4. They would love Jesus because they would believe Jesus proceeded from God. God sent Jesus.
5. He that is of God hears God’s Words.
Jesus States He Is Eternal
John 8:48-59 (KJV) 48 Then answered the Jews, and said unto Him (Jesus), Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil? 49 Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour My Father, and ye do dishonour Me. 50 And I seek not Mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth. 51 Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep My saying, he shall never see death. 52 Then said the Jews unto Him, Now we know that Thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and Thou sayest, If a man keep My saying, he shall never taste of death. 53 Art Thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest Thou Thyself? 54 Jesus answered, If I honour Myself, My honour is nothing: it is My Father that honoureth Me; of whom ye say, that He is your God: 55 Yet ye have not known Him; but I know Him: and if I should say, I know Him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know Him, and keep His saying. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day: and he saw it, and was glad. 57 Then said the Jews unto Him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast Thou seen Abraham? 58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. 59 Then took they up stones to cast at Him: but Jesus hid Himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
1. Who will never see death (John 8:52)?
2. Who honors Jesus (John 8:54)?
3. Who was before Abraham (John 8:58)?
4. What did the Jews try to do to Jesus (John 8:59)?
1. He who keeps Jesus’ saying will never see death.
2. His Father honors Jesus.
3. Jesus was before Abraham.
4. The Jews try to stone Jesus.
HEAR the WORD
“John 8:51 Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep My saying, he shall never see death.”
MEDITATE on the WORD
Ponder this statement of Jesus’. My Bible notes: To keep Jesus’ word means to hear His words and obey them. When Jesus says those who obey won’t die, he is talking about spiritual death, not physical death. Even physical death will eventually be overcome.
MEMORIZE the WORD
John 8:31-32 (NIV) To the Jews who had believed Him, Jesus said, “If you hold to My teaching, you are really My disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
LOVE and LIVE the WORD
When we love and live God’s Word we will be set free by Jesus Himself who is the truth.
TEACH and SHARE the WORD
As we seek to serve God we will be led to serve others too.
PRAY the WORD
Lord, I pray we will quickly repent when we discover we’ve sinned (John 8:24). Lord, I pray we will indeed believe in You (John 8:30). Lord, I pray we will stay in Your Word and be seen as Your disciples (John 8:31). I pray we will know the truth and be set free (John 8:32). Lord, I pray we will continually show our love for You (John 8:42). Lord, I pray we will hear and live Your Word (John 8:47). Lord I pray we will keep Your Word and therefore experience eternal life with You (John 8:52). In Christ Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN.
“May you and I read, remember, and live God’s Word.” <>< Dona