02/24/21 THE WORD
Scripture: John 7:32-53; John 8:1-11; John 8:12-20
(If you cannot view this entire post just click on the title above.)
READ and STUDY the WORD
Religious Leaders Attempt To Arrest Jesus
John 7:32-53 (KJV) 32 The Pharisees heard that the people murmured such things concerning Him (Jesus); and the Pharisees and the chief priests sent officers to take Him. 33 Then said Jesus unto them, Yet a little while am I with you, and then I go unto Him that sent Me. 34 Ye shall seek Me, and shall not find Me: and where I am, thither ye cannot come. 35 Then said the Jews among themselves, Whither will He go, that we shall not find Him? will He go unto the dispersed among the Gentiles, and teach the Gentiles? 36 What manner of saying is this that He said, Ye shall seek Me, and shall not find Me: and where I am, thither ye cannot come? 37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink. 38 He that believeth on Me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake He of the Spirit, which they that believe on Him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.) 40 Many of the people therefore, when they heard this saying, said, Of a truth this is the Prophet. 41 Others said, This is the Christ. But some said, Shall Christ come out of Galilee? 42 Hath not the scripture said, That Christ cometh of the seed of David, and out of the town of Bethlehem, where David was? 43 So there was a division among the people because of Him. 44 And some of them would have taken Him; but no man laid hands on Him. 45 Then came the officers to the chief priests and Pharisees; and they said unto them, Why have ye not brought Him? 46 The officers answered, Never man spake like this man. 47 Then answered them the Pharisees, Are ye also deceived? 48 Have any of the rulers or of the Pharisees believed on Him? 49 But this people who knoweth not the law are cursed. 50 Nicodemus saith unto them, (he that came to Jesus by night, being one of them,) 51 Doth our law judge any man, before it hear him, and know what he doeth? 52 They answered and said unto him, Art thou also of Galilee? Search, and look: for out of Galilee ariseth no prophet. 53 And every man went unto his own house.
1. Who were the officers sent to arrest (John 7:32)?
2. What did Jesus say (John 7:33)?
3. What did Jesus say on the last day of the feast (John 7:37-38)?
4. About whom was Jesus speaking (John 7:39)?
5. Which Pharisee was a believer and defended Jesus (John 7:50-51)?
6. Of what was Nicodemus accused (John 7:52)?
1. The officers were sent to arrest Jesus.
2. Jesus said they would seek Him but not find Him. They couldn’t come to where He was.
3. On the last day of the feast Jesus said, “If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink. He that believeth on Me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.”
4. Jesus was speaking about the Holy Spirit.
5. Nicodemus, a Pharisee, was a believer and defended Jesus (see John 3:1).
6. Nicodemus was accused of being from Galilee (like Jesus).
Jesus Forgives An Adulterous Woman
John 8:1-11 (KJV) Jesus went unto the mount of Olives. 2 And early in the morning He came again into the temple, and all the people came unto Him; and He sat down, and taught them. 3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto Him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, 4 They say unto Him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest Thou? 6 This they said, tempting Him, that they might have to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down, and with His finger wrote on the ground, as though He heard them not. 7 So when they continued asking Him, He lifted up Himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8 And again He stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had lifted up Himself, and saw none but the woman, He said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? 11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
1. Who was brought before Jesus (John 8:3)?
2. What did Jesus say to those around Him (John 8:7)?
3. What happened then (John 8:9)?
4. Who was left with Jesus (John 8:10)?
5. What did Jesus ask the woman (John 8:10)?
6. What was her answer (John 8:11)?
7. What did Jesus say to the woman (John 8:11)?
1. A woman caught in adultery was brought to Jesus.
2. Jesus said to those around Him, “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.”
3. The accusers being convicted by their own sin, went out one by one, beginning with the elders.
4. Just the woman was left with Jesus.
5. Jesus asked the woman, “Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?”
6. The woman answered no man (had condemned her).
7. Jesus said to the woman, “Neither do I condemn thee: go and sin no more.”
Jesus Is The Light Of The World
John 8:12-20 (KJV) 12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. 13 The Pharisees therefore said unto Him, Thou bearest record of Thyself; Thy record is not true. 14 Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of Myself, yet My record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go. 15 Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man. 16 And yet if I judge, My judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent Me. 17 It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true. 18 I am one that bear witness of Myself, and the Father that sent Me beareth witness of Me. 19 Then said they unto Him, Where is Thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know Me, nor My Father: if ye had known Me, ye should have known My Father also. 20 These words spake Jesus in the treasury, as He taught in the temple: and no man laid hands on Him; for His hour was not yet come.
1. Who did Jesus say He was (John 8:12)?
2. When the Pharisees questioned the truth of what Jesus said, what was Jesus’ response (John 8:17-18)?
1. Jesus said, “I am the light of the world: he that followeth Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.”
2. When the Pharisees questioned the truth of what Jesus said, Jesus’ response was, “It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true. I am one that bear witness of Myself, and the Father that sent Me beareth witness of Me.”
HEAR the WORD
John 7:37-39 37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, “If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink. 38 He that believeth on Me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.” 39 (But this spake He of the Spirit, which they that believe on Him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
MEDITATE on the WORD
Ponder the above verses. My Bible notes: Jesus was speaking of the Holy Spirit. My thoughts: The Holy Spirit wasn’t dwelling in believers. He hadn’t been sent yet. The disciples didn’t receive the Holy Spirit until Pentecost. We have the witness of the Holy Spirit within us if we’re believers.
MEMORIZE the WORD
John 7:38 “He that believeth on Me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.”
LOVE and LIVE the WORD
Search carefully the Word of God with your heart and your mind open.
TEACH and SHARE the WORD
Don’t jump to conclusions. Make sure you understand what you’re trying to share with others.
PRAY the WORD
Lord, I pray we believers will rely on the Holy Spirit to guide us into all truth (John 7:39). Lord, I pray we will judge no one by their place of birth (John 7:52). Lord, I pray we will leave judging to You (John 8:7). Lord, I pray Your light will guide us and shine through us (John 8:12). In Christ Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN.
“May you and I be led by the Holy Spirit.” <>< Dona