02/20/21 THE WORD
Scripture: Matthew 17:24-27; Matthew 18:1-6; Mark 9:33-37; Luke 9:46-48
(If you cannot view this entire post just click on the title above.)
READ and STUDY the WORD
Peter Finds A Coin
Matthew 17:24-27 (KJV) 24 And when Jesus and His disciples were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute money came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute? 25 He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers? 26 Peter saith unto Him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free. 27 Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for Me and thee.
1. Why did Jesus say they needed to pay their tribute (Matthew 17:27a)?
2. What did Jesus tell Peter he would find in the mouth of a fish (Matthew 17:27b)?
3. What did Jesus tell Peter to do with the money (Matthew 17:27c)?
1. Jesus said they needed to pay their tribute so the ones collecting the tribute wouldn’t be offended.
2. Jesus told Peter he would find money in the mouth of a fish.
3. Jesus told Peter to give the money to those who collect tribute (tax) money.
The Disciples Argue
Matthew 18:1-6 (KJV) At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? 2 And Jesus called a little child unto Him, and set him in the midst of them, 3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in My name receiveth Me. 6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in Me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
Mark 9:33-37 (KJV) 33 And He (Jesus) came to Capernaum: and being in the house He asked them, What was it that ye disputed among yourselves by the way? 34 But they held their peace: for by the way they had disputed among themselves, who should be the greatest. 35 And He sat down, and called the twelve, and saith unto them, If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all. 36 And He took a child, and set him in the midst of them: and when He had taken him in His arms, He said unto them, 37 Whosoever shall receive one of such children in My name, receiveth Me: and whosoever shall receive Me, receiveth not Me, but him that sent Me.
Luke 9:46-48 (KJV) 46 Then there arose a reasoning among them (the disciples), which of them should be greatest. 47 And Jesus, perceiving the thought of their heart, took a child, and set him by Him, 48 And said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in My name receiveth Me: and whosoever shall receive Me receiveth him that sent Me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great.
1. About what were the disciples disputing/reasoning (Mark 9:34; Luke 9:46)?
2. Who did Jesus call to Himself (Matthew 18:2; Mark 9:36; Luke 9:47)?
3. What did Jesus say we have to be and become to enter into the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 18:3)?
4. If we receive a little one in Jesus’ name who else are we receiving (Matthew 18:5; Mark 9:37; Luke 9:48)?
1. The disciples were disputing/reasoning among themselves who should be the greatest.
2. Jesus called to Himself a little child.
3. Jesus said we have to be converted and become as little children to enter into the kingdom of heaven.
4. If we receive a little one in Jesus’ name we are receiving Jesus.
HEAR the WORD
Mark 9:35 And Jesus sat down, and called the twelve, and saith unto them, If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all.
MEDITATE on the WORD
Ponder the above verse. What do you believe this verse means? Perhaps what Jesus says in Mark 10:43-44 will help. (see I Peter 5:1-4 it may help you understand too).
Mark 10:43-44 (NIV) “… whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave to all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.”
My Bible notes: Jesus told James and John (two of His disciples) that true greatness comes in serving others. Look for ways that you can minister to the needs of others.
MEMORIZE the WORD
Matthew 18:5 (NIV) “And whoever welcomes a little child like this in My name, welcomes Me (Jesus).”
LOVE and LIVE the WORD
Jesus loves the little children is not just a song it’s a fact. And we are all God’s children. Love Him back by living out His Word.
TEACH and SHARE the WORD
Share the love of Jesus with everyone you meant. Remember we’re all God’s children.
PRAY the WORD
Lord, I pray we will indeed turn from sin, turn to You and behave like Your children (Matthew 18:3). Lord, I pray we will not offend Your children (Matthew 18:6). Lord, I pray we will be servants to all (Mark 9:35). Lord, I pray we will take Your children in our arms and welcome them as You do (Mark 9:36-37). In Christ Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN.
“May you and I encourage all to come into God’s kingdom.” <>< Dona