02/12/21 THE WORD
Scripture: John 6:22-40; John 6:41-59; John 6:60-71.
(If you cannot view this entire post just click on the title above.)
READ and STUDY the WORD
Jesus Is The True Bread From Heaven
John 6:22-40 (KJV) 22 The day following, when the people which stood on the other side of the sea saw that there was none other boat there, save that one whereinto His disciples were entered, and that Jesus went not with His disciples into the boat, but that His disciples were gone away alone; 23 (Howbeit there came other boats from Tiberias nigh unto the place where they did eat bread, after that the Lord had given thanks:) 24 When the people therefore saw that Jesus was not there, neither His disciples, they also took shipping, and came to Capernaum, seeking for Jesus. 25 And when they had found Him on the other side of the sea, they said unto Him, Rabbi, when camest Thou hither? 26 Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek Me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled. 27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for Him hath God the Father sealed. 28 Then said they unto Him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on Him whom He hath sent. 30 They said therefore unto Him, What sign shewest Thou then, that we may see, and believe Thee? what dost Thou work? 31 Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat. 32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but My Father giveth you the true bread from heaven. 33 For the bread of God is He which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world. 34 Then said they unto Him, Lord, evermore give us this bread. 35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to Me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on Me shall never thirst. 36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen Me, and believe not. 37 All that the Father giveth Me shall come to Me; and him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out. 38 For I came down from heaven, not to do Mine own will, but the will of Him that sent Me. 39 And this is the Father’s will which hath sent Me, that of all which He hath given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. 40 And this is the will of Him that sent Me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on Him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
2. What did Jesus tell them about labor (John 6:27a)?
3. Of whom did God approve (John 6:27b)?
4. What did Jesus say was the work of God (John 6:29)?
5. Who did Jesus say actually provided the manna to their ancestors (John 6:32-33)?
6. Who is the bread of life (John 6:35a)?
7. Who shall never hunger or thirst (John 6:35b)?
8. Who will come to Jesus (John 6:37a)?
9. Who will Jesus not cast away (John 6:37b)?
10. Whose will does Jesus seek (John 6:38)?
11. What is God, the Father’s will (John 6:39-40)?
1. The people came to Capernaum seeking Jesus.
2. Jesus told them to not labor (work) for food that spoils, instead labor for food that will endure to eternal life. That food which Jesus, the Son of Man, will give them.
3. God, the Father had placed on Jesus His seal of approval.
4. Jesus said, “This is the work of God, that ye believe on Him whom He hath sent.”
5. Jesus said it wasn’t Moses, it was Jesus’ heavenly Father who provided the manna.
6. The bread of life is Jesus.
7. Those that came to Jesus would never hunger and those that believed on Jesus would never thirst.
8. Those who come to Jesus are those God the Father gives to Him (Jesus).
9. Jesus will not cast away those that come to Him.
10. Jesus seeks the will of Him (God, the Father) who sent Him (Jesus).
11. God’s will is that nothing God the Father has given to God the Son, Jesus, will be lost, but will be raised up again at the last day. That everyone who sees the Son and believes on Him may have everlasting life. And Jesus will raise them up at the last day.
The Jews Disagree That Jesus Is From Heaven
John 6:41-59 (KJV) 41 The Jews then murmured at Him, because He said, I am the bread which came down from heaven. 42 And they said, Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? how is it then that He saith, I came down from heaven? 43 Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves. 44 No man can come to Me, except the Father which hath sent Me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto Me. 46 Not that any man hath seen the Father, save He which is of God, He hath seen the Father. 47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on Me hath everlasting life. 48 I am that bread of life. 49 Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die. 51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live forever: and the bread that I will give is My flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. 52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us His flesh to eat? 53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink His blood, ye have no life in you. 54 Whoso eateth My flesh, and drinketh My blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For My flesh is meat indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. 56 He that eateth My flesh, and drinketh My blood, dwelleth in Me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father hath sent Me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth Me, even he shall live by Me. 58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live forever. 59 These things said He in the synagogue, as He taught in Capernaum.
1. About what were the Jews murmuring (John 6:41-42)?
2. What was Jesus’ response (John 6:43-44)?
3. Who has everlasting life (John 6:47)?
4. Who will live forever John 6:51)?
1. The Jews were murmuring that Jesus was saying He was the bread that came down from heaven. They questioned that He came down from heaven because they knew His parents – Joseph and Mary.
2. Jesus’ response was “Murmur not among yourselves. No man can come to Me, except the Father which hath sent Me draw him, and I will raise him up at the last day.”
3. Those who believe in Jesus have everlasting life.
4. Any man who eats the living bread, Jesus will live forever.
Many Disciples Desert Jesus
John 6:60-71 (KJV) 60 Many therefore of His disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it? 61 When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples murmured at it, He said unto them, Doth this offend you? 62 What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where He was before? 63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray Him. 65 And He said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto Me, except it were given unto him of My Father. 66 From that time many of His disciples went back, and walked no more with Him. 67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? 68 Then Simon Peter answered Him, Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life. 69 And we believe and are sure that Thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God. 70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil? 71 He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray Him, being one of the twelve.
1. What are the words that Jesus speaks (John 6:63)?
2. What is the only way to Jesus (John 6:65)?
3. Who turned back and walked no more with Jesus (John 6:66)?
4. What did Jesus ask His twelve disciples (John 6:67)?
1. The words that Jesus speaks are Spirit and they are life.
2. No man can come into Jesus, except it is given unto him of the Father.
3. Many of Jesus’ disciples turned back and walked no more with Jesus.
4. Jesus asked His twelve disciples, “Will you also go away?”
HEAR the WORD
John 6:51-53 51 “I (Jesus) am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live forever: and the bread that I will give is My flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.” 52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us His flesh to eat? 53 Then Jesus said unto them, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink His blood, ye have no life in you.”
MEDITATE on the WORD
Ponder the above passage. Jesus was not talking about actual blood and flesh. He was talking to them (and us) about receiving Him into our life. My Bible notes: To eat living bread means to accept Christ into our lives and become united with Him by believing in His death and resurrection and by devoting ourselves to living as He requires, depending on His Word and trusting in the power of the Holy Spirit.
MEMORIZE the WORD
John 6:63 (NIV) “The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I (Jesus) have spoken to you are spirit and they are life.”
LOVE and LIVE the WORD
Loving the Word is really all about loving Jesus. In John 1:14 it says the Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us.
TEACH and SHARE the WORD
We should share what we’ve learned about The Word – Jesus – with those around us.
PRAY the WORD
Lord, I pray we will work for food that endures to eternal life (John 6:27). Thank You Lord for sending Jesus into our life (John 6:29). Thank You for sending us the Bread of Life (John 6:35). Thank You for feeding us with Your Word (John 6:35). Lord, I pray we will seek and do Your will (John 6:38). Thank You for giving us eternal life through Christ Jesus (John 6:47). Lord, I pray we will faithfully follow You (John 6:67). In Christ Jesus name I pray. AMEN.
“May you and I faithfully follow Jesus.” <>< Dona