02/03/21 THE WORD
Scripture: Matthew 13:24-32, 36-43; Mark 4:26-34
(If you cannot view this entire post just click on the title above.)
READ and STUDY the WORD
Jesus Tells The Parable Of Growing Seed
Mark 4:26-29 (KJV) 26 And He (Jesus) said, So is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed into the ground; 27 And should sleep, and rise night and day, and the seed should spring and grow up, he knoweth not how. 28 For the earth bringeth forth fruit of herself; first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear. 29 But when the fruit is brought forth, immediately he putteth in the sickle, because the harvest is come.
Jesus Tells The Parable Of The Weeds
Matthew 13:24-32 (KJV) 24 Another parable put He (Jesus) forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: 25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. 26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. 27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? 28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? 29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
Matthew 13:36-43 (KJV) 36 Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and His disciples came unto Him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field. 37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man; 38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one; 39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels. 40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world. 41 The Son of man shall send forth His angels, and they shall gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; 42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. 43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.
Jesus Tells The Parable Of The Mustard Seed
Matthew 13:31-32 (KJV) 31 Another parable put He forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field: 32 Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.
Mark 4:30-34 (KJV) 30 And He said, Whereunto shall we liken the kingdom of God? or with what comparison shall we compare it? 31 It is like a grain of mustard seed, which, when it is sown in the earth, is less than all the seeds that be in the earth: 32 But when it is sown, it groweth up, and becometh greater than all herbs, and shooteth out great branches; so that the fowls of the air may lodge under the shadow of it. 33 And with many such parables spake He the word unto them, as they were able to hear it. 34 But without a parable spake He not unto them: and when they were alone, He expounded all things to His disciples.
1. Where do you believe the kingdom of God is located (Mark 4:26)? I believe in our heart.
2. To what do you believe the growth of the plant is being compared (Mark 4:26-29)? I believe our spiritual growth.
3. Why didn’t the sower want the weeds pulled up (Matthew 13:29)? Because in the process the good seed might be rooted up too.
4. When would both the weeds and good seed (wheat) be collected (Matthew 13:30)? At harvest time.
5. Who was the One who sowed the good seed (Matthew 13:37)? The Son of Man.
6. What was the field (Matthew 13:38a)? the world.
7. Who are the good seeds (Matthew 13:38b)? the sons of the kingdom.
8. Who are the weeds (Matthew 13:38c)? the sons of the evil one.
9. Who is the enemy who sows the weeds (Matthew 13:39a)? The devil.
10. When is the harvest (Matthew 13:39b)? at the end of the age.
11. Who are the harvesters (Matthew 13:39c)? the angels.
12. What will happen to the weeds (Matthew 13:40)? They will be pulled up and burned in the fire.
13. What will the angels do (Matthew 13:41-42a)? They will weed out of God’s kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. They will throw them into the fiery furnace.
14. What will be the response (Matthew 13:42b)? There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
15. What will happen to the righteous (Matthew 13:43)? They will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father.
16. According to this parable what is the least/smallest of seeds (Matthew 13:32; Mark 4:31)? The mustard seed.
17. What does the mustard seed grow into when planted (Matthew 13:32; Mark 4:32)? The largest of all garden plants.
My Bible notes: Although Christianity had very small beginnings (like the mustard seed), it has grown into a large worldwide community of believers.
HEAR the WORD
Matthew 13:24 and 31 both reference the kingdom of heaven. Mark 4:26 and 30 both reference the kingdom of God. Listen carefully each time you read about the kingdom. The kingdom of heaven/kingdom of God is not a location you can see with your physical eyes. But the more we learn about the parables the more information we’ll have concerning this spiritual kingdom. We can though view this kingdom with spiritual eyes and ears.
MEDITATE on the WORD
Read the following verses over a few times until you understand both of them and understand how they connect.
Matthew 13:36 Then He left the crowd and went into the house. His disciples came to Him and said, “Explain to us the parables of the weeds in the field.”
Mark 4:34 But without a parable spake He not unto them: and when they were alone, He expounded all things to His disciples.
My thoughts: Sometimes even the disciples didn’t understand the parables. And they asked Jesus to explain the parables to them when they were alone with Him. But the disciples had a mustard seed of faith that was growing. Many of those Jesus spoke the parables to didn’t have that beginning point.
MEMORIZE the WORD
Matthew 13:43 “Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear.”
LOVE and LIVE the WORD
We too may be baby Christians. We too may need God’s help to understand His Word. But we’re part of God’s kingdom if we’ve repented and accepted Jesus as our Lord and our Savior.
TEACH and SHARE the WORD
We need to help others understand how to receive eternal life through repentance of sin and acceptance of Jesus into our heart and life.
PRAY the WORD
Lord, I pray we will understand Your Word and let it grow in our heart and our life. In Christ Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN.
“You and I need to plant God’s Word in our heart and nurture it.” <>< Dona