01/28/21 THE WORD
Matthew 7:21-29; Luke 6:46-49; Matthew 8:5-13; Luke 7:1-17
(If you cannot view this entire post just click on the title above.)
READ and STUDY the WORD
Jesus Teaches About Those Who Build Houses On Rock and Sand
Matthew 7:21-29 (KJV) 21 Not everyone that saith unto Me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of My Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in Thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity. 24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of Mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: 25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. 26 And every one that heareth these sayings of Mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: 27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it. 28 And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at His doctrine: 29 For He taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.
Luke 6:46-49 (KJV) 46 And why call ye Me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? 47 Whosoever cometh to Me, and heareth My sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like: 48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock. 49 But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.
A Roman Centurion Demonstrates Faith
Matthew 8:5-13 (KJV) 5 And when Jesus was entered into Capernaum, there came unto Him a centurion, beseeching Him, 6 And saying, Lord, my servant lieth at home sick of the palsy, grievously tormented. 7 And Jesus saith unto him, I will come and heal him. 8 The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that Thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed. 9 For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it. 10 When Jesus heard it, He marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel. 11 And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven. 12 But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 13 And Jesus said unto the centurion, Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour.
Luke 7:1-10 (KJV) Now when He (Jesus) had ended all His sayings in the audience of the people, He entered into Capernaum. 2 And a certain centurion’s servant, who was dear unto him, was sick, and ready to die. 3 And when he heard of Jesus, he sent unto Him the elders of the Jews, beseeching Him that He would come and heal his servant. 4 And when they came to Jesus, they besought Him instantly, saying, That he was worthy for whom He should do this: 5 For he loveth our nation, and he hath built us a synagogue. 6 Then Jesus went with them. And when He was now not far from the house, the centurion sent friends to him, saying unto Him, Lord, trouble not Thyself: for I am not worthy that Thou shouldest enter under my roof: 7 Wherefore neither thought I myself worthy to come unto Thee: but say in a word, and my servant shall be healed. 8 For I also am a man set under authority, having under me soldiers, and I say unto one, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it. 9 When Jesus heard these things, He marvelled at him, and turned him about, and said unto the people that followed him, I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel. 10 And they that were sent, returning to the house, found the servant whole that had been sick.
Jesus Raises A Widow’s Son From The Dead
Luke 7:11-17 KJV 11 And it came to pass the day after, that He (Jesus) went into a city called Nain; and many of His disciples went with Him, and much people. 12 Now when He came nigh to the gate of the city, behold, there was a dead man carried out, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow: and much people of the city was with her. 13 And when the Lord saw her, He had compassion on her, and said unto her, Weep not. 14 And He came and touched the bier: and they that bare him stood still. And He said, Young man, I say unto thee, Arise. 15 And He that was dead sat up, and began to speak. And He delivered him to his mother. 16 And there came a fear (awe) on all: and they glorified (praised) God, saying, That a great prophet is risen up among us; and, That God hath visited His people. 17 And this rumour of Him went forth throughout all Judaea, and throughout all the region round about.
1. Who will enter into the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 7:21)? He that does the will of our Father in heaven.
2. What will we be like if we hear and obey God (Matthew 7:24; Luke 6:46-48)? We will be like a wise man who built his house upon a rock.
3. What will happen if rain, floods, and winds beat against the wise man’s house (Matthew 7:25)? It will not fall for it will be founded on a rock.
4. What will those who don’t listen to God be like (Matthew 7:26; Luke 6:49)? They will be like a foolish man who built his house on sand.
5. What will happen if rain, floods and winds beat on the foolish man’s house (Matthew 7:27; Luke 6:49)? It will fall and great will be the fall of it.
6. How did Jesus teach (Matthew 7:29)? Jesus taught as one having authority and not as the scribes. (Scribes read the word. Jesus is the WORD.)
7. Why did the centurion need Jesus? (Matthew 8:5-6; Luke 7:1-2)? His servant was sick, tormented and near death.
8. What did Jesus say (Matthew 8:7; Luke 7:6)? Jesus said He would come and heal the servant.
9. How did the centurion respond to Jesus (Matthew 8:8-9; Luke 7:6-7)? He said he (the centurion) wasn’t worthy of Jesus to come personally. Jesus could just say the word for the servant to be healed.
10. What did Jesus say about the centurion’s faith (Matthew 8:10; Luke 7:9)? He had not found so great faith, not in Israel.
11. What did Jesus say to the centurion (Matthew 8:13a)? “Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee.”
12. What happened to the servant (Matthew 8:13b; Luke 7:10)? The servant was healed.
What did Jesus encounter at the gate of the city (Luke 7:12)? A dead man on a bier.
13. How did Jesus respond to the dead man’s mother (Luke 7:13-14)? He had compassion on her and touched the bier and said “Young man, I say unto thee, Arise.”
14. What happened next (Luke 7:15)? He that was dead sat up and began to speak.
HEAR the WORD
Read this verse a few times. Luke 7:16 NIV They were all filled with awe and praised God. “A great prophet has appeared among us,” they said. “God has helped His people.”
MEDITATE on the WORD
Now ponder the above verse. If you were in this crowd how do you believe you would have responded? Have you ever experienced a miracle or seen a miracle? Has anyone ever told you about a miracle they experienced or saw?
MEMORIZE the WORD
Luke 7:16 NIV They were all filled with awe and praised God. “A great prophet has appeared among us,” they said. “God has helped His people.”
EASY MEMORIZATION DIRECTIONS
1. Copy a verse you want to memorize on three individual index cards.
2. Choose three places you frequently go to each day and place one of the memory cards in view.
3. Each time you find yourself near one of the memory cards read it aloud.
4. After a week of reading the memory cards you will most likely be able to recall the verse/s without reading them.
5. Try it for a week and find out.
LOVE AND LIVE the WORD
I love the word “awe” which brings to my mind the word awesome. My favorite word though when experiencing or seeing something wonderful is “wow.” Look around you and experience/see all that is truly awesome or wow worthy.
TEACH AND SHARE the WORD
Encourage others to do the same thing. Look up, look down, look all around. Look at those in your life.
PRAY the WORD
Lord, I pray we will seek Your will and obey You (Matthew 7:21). I pray we will build our home on the rock (Matthew 7:24; Luke 6:46-48). Just like the centurion, I pray we will come to You for help (Matthew 8:5-6). And we will trust You to take care of us (Matthew 8:8-9; Luke 7:6-7). Lord, I pray we will have great faith just like the centurion (Matthew 8:10; Luke 7:9). Lord, I pray we will stand in awe of all You do in our life (Luke 7:16). In Christ Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN.
“May you and I stand in awe of all God has done, is doing and will do in our life.” <>< Dona