01/25/21 THE WORD
Matthew 5:43-48; Luke 6:27-36
(If you cannot view this entire post just click on the title above.)
READ and STUDY the WORD
Jesus Teaches About Loving Our Enemies
Matthew 5:43-48 (KJV) 43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 44 But I (Jesus) say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for He maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? 47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? 48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
Luke 6:27-36 (KJV) 27 But I (Jesus) say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, 28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. 29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also. 30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. 31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. 32 For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. 33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same. 34 And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. 35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for He is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. 36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.
1. According to Jesus how should we treat our enemies and those that curse us (Matthew 5:44a; Luke 6:27-28)? We are to love our enemies and bless those that curse us.
2. According to Jesus how should we treat those who hate us, use us and persecute us (Matthew 5:44b; Luke 6:27-28)? We should do good to those who hate us and pray for those who despitefully use and persecute us.
3. Why should we act in these ways (Matthew 5:45a)? So that we may be the children of our Father who is in heaven.
4. What does our Father in heaven do (Matthew 5:45b)? He makes His sun to rise on the evil and on the good. And He sends rain on the just and the unjust.
5. What are we instructed to do (Matthew 5:48)? Be perfect, even as our Father who is in heaven is perfect.
6. What should we do when someone slaps us on one cheek (Luke 6:29a)? Turn the other cheek.
7. What should we do when someone takes our cloak (Luke 6:29b)? allow them to take our coat too.
8. What are we to do when someone asks for something (Luke 6:30a)? Give it to them.
9. What about if they take something that belongs to you (Luke 6:30b)? Don’t demand it back.
10. How are we to treat our enemies (Luke 6:35a)? We are to love them, do good to them and lend to them without expecting to get anything back.
11. What will the result be of treating our enemies this way (Luke 6:35b)? Then our reward will be great and we will be sons of the Most High, because He is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.
12. Who should be merciful (Luke 6:36)a? We should be merciful.
13. Whose model are we following (Luke 6:36b)? God, our Father.
HEAR the WORD
Luke 6:31 (NIV) “Do to others as you would have them do to you.” Doesn’t that sound familiar to you?
MEDITATE on the WORD
Even non-Christians have heard of the Golden Rule – Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Or even simpler – Treat others as you would like to be treated. Think about a time you responded with the Golden Rule. Think of a time you didn’t respond with the Golden Rule. Which one made you truly feel better?
MEMORIZE the WORD
Luke 6:31 (NIV) “Do to others as you would have them do to you.”
EASY MEMORIZATION DIRECTIONS
1. Copy a verse you want to memorize on three individual index cards.
2. Choose three places you frequently go to each day and place one of the memory cards in view.
3. Each time you find yourself near one of the memory cards read it aloud.
4. After a week of reading the memory cards you will most likely be able to recall the verse/s without reading them.
5. Try it for a week and find out.
LOVE AND LIVE the WORD
Loving our enemies is hard. But if we can remember that Jesus died on a cross for even them, perhaps we can stop and think a little longer about what kind of life they may be living. They need a Savior too. Consider praying for them.
TEACH AND SHARE the WORD
Learn to pray for anyone who comes into your mind. Even if it’s someone you don’t particularly like. Encourage others to do the same.
PRAY the WORD
Lord, I pray for those we don’t particularly like. I ask You to give us a heart that will cry out to You on their behalf anytime these individuals come to our mind (Matthew 5:44). Lord, thank You for giving us both sunshine and rain (Matthew 5:45). Lord, I pray we will be kind to all we meet (Matthew 5:47). Lord, I pray we will aspire to be like Christ (Matthew 5:48). I pray we will do good to even those who hate us (Luke 6:27). I pray we will indeed do unto others as we would have them do unto us (Luke 6:31). In Christ Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN.
“May you and I treat others as we would like them to treat us.” <>< Dona