01/20/21 THE WORD
(If you cannot view this entire post just click on the title above.)
READ and STUDY the WORD
Jesus Heals A Lame Man By The Pool
John 5:1-18 (KJV) 1 After this there was a feast of the Jews; and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 2 Now there is at Jerusalem by the sheep market a pool, which is called in the Hebrew tongue Bethesda, having five porches. 3 In these lay a great multitude of impotent folk, of blind, halt, withered, waiting for the moving of the water. 4 For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had. 5 And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years. 6 When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, He saith unto him, “Wilt thou be made whole?” 7 The impotent man answered Him, Sir, I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me. 8 Jesus saith unto him, “Rise, take up thy bed, and walk.” 9 And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the sabbath. 10 The Jews therefore said unto him that was cured, It is the sabbath day: it is not lawful for thee to carry thy bed. 11 He answered them, He that made me whole, the same said unto me, Take up thy bed, and walk. 12 Then asked they him, What man is that which said unto thee, Take up thy bed, and walk? 13 And he that was healed wist not who it was: for Jesus had conveyed Himself away, a multitude being in that place. 14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, “Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.” 15 The man departed, and told the Jews that it was Jesus, which had made him whole. 16 And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay Him, because He had done these things on the sabbath day. 17 But Jesus answered them, “My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.” 18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill Him, because He not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.
Jesus Claims To Be God’s Son and Supports His Claim
John 5:19-47 (KJV) 19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He seeth the Father do: for what things soever He doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise. 20 For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth Him all things that Himself doeth: and He will shew Him greater works than these, that ye may marvel. 21 For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom He will. 22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent Him. 24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth My word, and believeth on Him that sent Me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. 25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. 26 For as the Father hath life in Himself; so hath He given to the Son to have life in Himself; 27 And hath given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of man. 28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear His voice, 29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. 30 I can of Mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not Mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent Me. 31 If I bear witness of Myself, My witness is not true. 32 There is another that beareth witness of Me; and I know that the witness which He witnesseth of Me is true. 33 Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth. 34 But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved. 35 He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light. 36 But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given Me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of Me, that the Father hath sent Me. 37 And the Father Himself, which hath sent Me, hath borne witness of Me. Ye have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His shape. 38 And ye have not His word abiding in you: for whom He hath sent, Him ye believe not. 39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of Me. 40 And ye will not come to Me, that ye might have life. 41 I receive not honour from men. 42 But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you. 43 I am come in My Father’s name, and ye receive Me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive. 44 How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only? 45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust. 46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed Me; for he wrote of Me. 47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe My words?”
1. Where did Jesus go (v. 1)? to Jerusalem.
2. For what were the people around the pool waiting (v. 3)? For the moving of the water. Why (v. 4)? Because an angel would stir the water and whoever first stepped in would be healed.
3. How long had a certain man been infirmed/an invalid (v. 5)? Thirty-eight years.
4. What did Jesus ask the man (v. 6)? If he wanted to be healed.
5. What was the man’s response (v. 7)? He had nobody to help him into the water ahead of the others.
6. How did Jesus respond (v. 8)? He said, “Rise, take up your bed and walk.”
7. What happened (v. 9)? Immediately the man was healed, took up his bed and walked. When did this miracle happen (v. 9)? On the sabbath.
8. What did the Jews say (v. 10)? It wasn’t lawful to carry your bed on the sabbath.
9. What did the man that was healed say (v. 11)? He said the one who healed him told him to take up his bed and walk.
10. Then what did the Jews ask the man (v. 12)? Who was it that healed him.
11. What did the man answer (v. 13)? He had no idea who healed him.
12. Later in the temple what did Jesus tell the healed man (v. 14)? Stop sinning or something worse may happen to him.
13. Then what did the man do (v. 15)? He told the Jews that it was Jesus who healed him.
14. What does the Son do (v. 19)? Whatever He sees His Father do.
15. Who can give live (v. 21)? Both God, the Father and God, the Son (Jesus).
16. To whom is all judgment entrusted and by whom is all judgment entrusted (v. 22)? God, the Father entrusted all judgment to God, the Son (Jesus).
17. Why did God, the Father entrust all judgment to Jesus (v. 23)? So that all would honor the Son as they honor the Father.
18. Who has eternal life and will not be condemned (v. 24)? Whoever hears Jesus’ word and believes Him who sent Jesus.
19. What will happen to the (spiritual) dead who hear the voice of the Son of God (v. 25)? Those that hear will live.
20. Why did the Father give Jesus the authority to judge (v. 27)? Because Jesus is the Son of man.
21. What shouldn’t amaze us (v. 28)? It shouldn’t amaze us when a time comes and all who are in their graves hear God’s voice and come out of the grave – those who do good will rise to live; those who have done evil will rise to be condemned.
22. Who does Jesus seek to please (v. 30)? God, the Father.
23. Whose name did Jesus come in (v. 43)? In His Father’s name.
HEAR the WORD
John 5:15-16 15 The man departed, and told the Jews that it was Jesus, which had made him whole. 16 And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay Him, because He had done these things on the sabbath day.
Do you hear that? The Jews were persecuting Jesus because He had healed someone on the sabbath. These Jews were more concerned about their petty rules being broken than the life and health of a human being.
MEDITATE on the WORD
Now ponder verse 16 through 18.
John 5:16-18 16 And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay Him, because He had done these things on the sabbath day. 17 But Jesus answered them, “My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.” 18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill Him, because He not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.
What are the Jews still overlooking? What are they not considering? What miracle has Jesus performed?
MEMORIZE the WORD
John 5:19 NIV Jesus gave them this answer: “I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by Himself; He can do only what He sees His Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.”
EASY MEMORIZATION DIRECTIONS
1. Copy a verse you want to memorize on three individual index cards.
2. Choose three places you frequently go to each day and place one of the memory cards in view.
3. Each time you find yourself near one of the memory cards read it aloud.
4. After a week of reading the memory cards you will most likely be able to recall the verse/s without reading them.
5. Try it for a week and find out.
LOVE AND LIVE the WORD
No matter our physical condition we have a job to do. We can minister effectively to others who are hurting when we have triumphed over our own hurts.
TEACH AND SHARE the WORD
We can encourage others to pray for and minister to those around them.
PRAY the WORD
Lord, I pray we will recognize when we’ve sin and turn and repent (John 5:14). Lord, when the opportunity to do good presents itself to us, I pray we will not ignore it even on the Sabbath (John 5:17). Lord, I pray we will hear Your voice and be raised to eternal life with You (John 5:24). Lord, I pray we too will finish the work You give us to do (John 5:36). Lord, I pray we will love You with all our heart (John 5:42). Lord, I pray we will trust Your Word (John 5:47). In Christ Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN.
“May you and I always trust God’s Word.” <>< Dona