01/15/21 THE WORD
Mark 1:21-28; Luke 4:31-37; Matthew 8:14-17; Mark 1:29-34; Luke 4:38-41
(If you cannot view this entire post just click on the title above.)
READ and STUDY the WORD
Jesus Teaches With Authority
Mark 1:21-28 (KJV) 21 And they went into Capernaum; and straightway on the sabbath day He (Jesus) entered into the synagogue, and taught. 22 And they were astonished at His doctrine: for He taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes. 23 And there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit; and he cried out, 24 Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with Thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? Art Thou come to destroy us? I know Thee who Thou art, the Holy One of God. 25 And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold thy peace, and come out of him.
Luke 4:31-37 (KJV) 31 And (Jesus) came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and taught them on the sabbath days. 32 And they were astonished at His doctrine: for His word was with power. 33 And in the synagogue there was a man, which had a spirit of an unclean devil, and cried out with a loud voice, 34 Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with Thee, Thou Jesus of Nazareth? Art Thou come to destroy us? I know Thee who Thou art; the Holy One of God. 35 And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold thy peace, and come out of him. And when the devil had thrown him in the midst, he came out of him, and hurt him not. 36 And they were all amazed, and spake among themselves, saying, What a word is this! For with authority and power He commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out. 37 And the fame of Him went out into every place of the country round about.
Jesus Heals Peter’s Mother-in-law And Many Others
Matthew 8:14-17 (KJV) 14 And when Jesus was come into Peter’s house, He saw his wife’s mother laid, and sick of a fever. 15 And He touched her hand, and the fever left her: and she arose, and ministered unto them. 16 When the even was come, they brought unto Him many that were possessed with devils: and He cast out the spirits with His word, and healed all that were sick: 17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias (Isaiah) the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.
Mark 1:29-34 (KJV) 29 And forthwith, when they were come out of the synagogue, they entered into the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John. 30 But Simon’s wife’s mother lay sick of a fever, and anon they tell Him (Jesus) of her. 31 And He came and took her by the hand, and lifted her up; and immediately the fever left her, and she ministered unto them. 32 And at evening, when the sun did set, they brought unto Him all that were diseased, and them that were possessed with devils. 33 And all the city was gathered together at the door. 34 And He healed many that were sick of divers diseases, and cast out many devils; and suffered not the devils to speak, because they knew Him.
Luke 4:38-41 (KJV) 38 And He (Jesus) arose out of the synagogue, and entered into Simon’s house. And Simon’s wife’s mother was taken with a great fever; and they besought Him for her. 39 And He stood over her, and rebuked the fever; and it left her: and immediately she arose and ministered unto them. 40 Now when the sun was setting, all they that had any sick with divers diseases brought them unto Him; and He laid His hands on every one of them, and healed them. 41 And devils also came out of many, crying out, and saying, Thou art Christ the Son of God. And He rebuking them suffered them not to speak: for they knew that He was Christ.
1. What astonished those in the synagogue (Mark 1:22; Luke 4:32)? Jesus’ doctrine, for He taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.
2. What was wrong with the man in the synagogue who was crying out (Mark 1:23; Luke 4:33)? He had an unclean spirit.
3. What did the man think Jesus was going to do (Mark 1:24; Luke 4:34)? Destroy him (them).
4. What did Jesus do (Mark 1:25-26; Luke 4:35)? He told the spirit(s) to come out of the man.
5. What amazed the people (Mark 1:27; Luke 4:36)? That Jesus was able to command the unclean spirits to come out of the man. The unclean spirits obeyed Jesus.
6. Where did Jesus go after He left the synagogue (Mark 1:29; Luke 4:38a)? Jesus went to Simon Peter’s and Andrew’s house.
7. Who was sick (Mark 1:30; Luke 4:38b)? Simon Peter’s mother-in-law.
8. What did Jesus do and what was the outcome (Mark 1:31; Luke 4:39)? Jesus took Simon Peter’s mother-in-law by the hand, helped her up, the fever left immediately and she began to minister to them.
9. What did Jesus continue to do (Mark 1:32-34; Luke 4:40-41)? He laid hands on many and healed them from various diseases and demon possession.
HEAR the WORD
Unclean spirits recognized Jesus as the Holy One of God, Jesus of Nazareth (Mark 1:24; Luke 4:34). Why do so many humans not recognize Him? Do you recognize Him as the Holy One of God, Jesus of Nazareth?
MEDITATE on the WORD
Ponder Mark 1:27. Do you believe there are unclean, evil spirits still affecting the lives of humans? I believe there are still evil spirits affecting us. But I also believe the Lord will drive them from our lives if we’ll seek Him to do so. God uses both the good and the bad situations in our life to bring us into a relationship with Him.
MEMORIZE the WORD
Mark 1:27 NIV The people were all amazed that they asked each other, “What is this? A new teaching – and with authority! He even gives orders to evil spirits and they obey Him (Jesus).”
EASY MEMORIZATION DIRECTIONS
1. Copy a verse you want to memorize on three individual index cards.
2. Choose three places you frequently go to each day and place one of the memory cards in view.
3. Each time you find yourself near one of the memory cards read it aloud.
4. After a week of reading the memory cards you will most likely be able to recall the verse/s without reading them.
5. Try it for a week and find out.
LOVE AND LIVE the WORD
As believers we can trust the Lord to set us free if we ask Him to do so. He (Jesus) even gives orders to evil spirits and they obey Him (Jesus).
TEACH AND SHARE the WORD
As believers we can teach others to trust the Lord to set them free as well.
PRAY the WORD
Lord, thank You for preaching the good news (Mark 1:22; Luke 4:32). Thank You for proclaiming freedom and releasing the oppressed (Mark 1:25-26; Luke 4:35). Thank You for healing the sick and the demon possessed ((Mark 1:31-34; Luke 4:39-41). Lord, thank You for continuing to do so in our generation. In Christ Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN.
“May you and I continually thank the Lord for all He has done, is doing and will do in our life.” <>< Dona