01/12/21 THE WORD
Luke 3:19-20; John 4:1-42
(If you cannot view this entire post just click on the title above.)
READ and STUDY the WORD
Herod Puts John (the Baptist) In Prison
Luke 3:19-20 (KJV) 19 But Herod the tetrarch, being reproved by him (John) for Herodias his brother Philip’s wife, and for all the evils which Herod had done, 20 Added yet this above all, that he shut up John in prison.
Jesus Talks To A Woman At The Well
John 4:1-26 (KJV) 1 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John, 2 (Though Jesus Himself baptized not, but His disciples,) 3 He left Judaea, and departed again into Galilee. 4 And He must needs go through Samaria.
5 Then cometh He to a city of Samaria, which is called Sychar, near to the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph. 6 Now Jacob’s well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied with His journey, sat thus on the well: and it was about the sixth hour.
7 There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give Me to drink. 8 (For His disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.) 9 Then saith the woman of Samaria unto Him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.
10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give Me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of Him, and He would have given thee living water. 11 The woman saith unto Him, Sir, Thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast Thou that living water? 12 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?
13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: 14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
15 The woman saith unto Him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw. 16 Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither. 17 The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, thou hast well said, I have no husband: 18 For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly.
19 The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that Thou art a prophet. 20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship. 21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe Me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. 23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship Him. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.
Jesus Speaks Of The Spiritual Harvest
John 4:27-38 27 And upon this came His disciples, and marvelled that He talked with the woman: yet no man said, What seekest Thou? or, Why talkest Thou with her?
28 The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men, 29 Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ? 30 Then they went out of the city, and came unto Him.
31 In the mean while His disciples prayed Him, saying, Master, eat. 32 But He said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of. 33 Therefore said the disciples one to another, Hath any man brought Him ought to eat?
34 Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of Him that sent Me, and to finish His work. 35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest. 36 And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together. 37 And herein is that saying true, one soweth, and another reapeth. 38 I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.
Many Samaritans Believe In Jesus
John 4:39-42 39 And many of the Samaritans of that city believed on Him for the saying of the woman, which testified, He told me all that ever I did. 40 So when the Samaritans were come unto Him, they besought Him that He would tarry with them: and He abode there two days. 41 And many more believed because of His own word; 42 And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard Him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.
1. Why was John put in jail (Luke 3:19)? John had reproved Herod about his evil behavior.
2. Who did Jesus ask at the well to give Him water (John 4:7)? a woman of Samaria.
3. Why was that an unusual thing to do (John 4:9)? Jews had no dealings with the Samaritans.
4. What did Jesus say about the well’s water (John 4:13)? “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again.”
5. What did Jesus say about the living water He could provide (John 4:14)? “whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”
6. What did Jesus say when the Samaritan woman questioned Him about where they should worship (John 4:19)? “a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem.”
7. From where does salvation come according to Jesus (John 4:22)? Salvation is from the Jews.
8. How are true worshippers to worship (John 4:23)? True worshippers are to worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers, the Father seeks.
9. Who was Jesus declaring He was (John 4:25-26)? The Messiah, Christ.
10. What did Jesus say His “meat” was (John 4:34)? “to do the will of Him that sent Me and to finish His work.”
11. Why did many Samaritans believe on Jesus (John 4:39)? Because of the Samaritan woman’s testimony.
12. Why did many others believe on Jesus (John 4:41)? Because of His words.
13. Who did they believe Jesus was (John 4:42)? The Savior of the world.
HEAR the WORD
Jesus said in John 4:26 “I who speak to you am He.” Keep this in mind as you continue reading.
MEDITATE on the WORD
Jesus said “I who speak to you am He” in response to the Samaritan woman. She had said she knew that the Messiah was coming and that He would explain everything to them. Right now, right in this place, Jesus is present to become Your Messiah, Your Christ, Your Savior. Think about this information if you’ve never seen Jesus in this way.
MEMORIZE the WORD
John 4:14 “… whoever drinks of the water that I (Jesus) will give them shall never thirst; but the water that I will give them will be a well of water springing up into everlasting life.”
John 4:24 “God is spirit, and His worshippers must worship in spirit and in truth.”
John 4:35 “… I (Jesus) tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ready to be harvested.”
EASY MEMORIZATION DIRECTIONS
1. Copy a verse you want to memorize on three individual index cards.
2. Choose three places you frequently go to each day and place one of the memory cards in view.
3. Each time you find yourself near one of the memory cards read it aloud.
4. After a week of reading the memory cards you will most likely be able to recall the verse/s without reading them.
5. Try it for a week and find out.
PRAY the WORD
Lord, I pray the people of this world will come to You for a drink of living water (John 4:14). Lord, I pray those who trust in You will worship in spirit and in truth. I pray the Holy Spirit within us will worship through us and will indeed pray through us with Your Word, the Truth (John 4:24). Lord, I pray we will look around this world and see those who need to hear about You. I pray the harvest of souls will be great (John 4:35). In Christ Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN.
“May you and I be workers in the harvest.” <>< Dona