01/11/21 THE WORD
John 2:12-25; John 3:1-36
(If you cannot view this entire post just click on the title above.)
READ and STUDY the WORD
Jesus Clears The Temple
John 2:12-25 King James Version (KJV) 12 After this He (Jesus) went down to Capernaum, He, and His mother, and His brethren, and His disciples: and they continued there not many days.
13 And the Jews’ passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: 15 And when He had made a scourge of small cords, He drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers’ money, and overthrew the tables; 16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not My Father’s house an house of merchandise. 17 And His disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of Thine house hath eaten Me up.
18 Then answered the Jews and said unto Him, What sign shewest Thou unto us, seeing that Thou doest these things? 19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt Thou rear it up in three days? 21 But He spake of the temple of His body. 22 When therefore He was risen from the dead, His disciples remembered that He had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.
23 Now when He was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in His name, when they saw the miracles which He did. 24 But Jesus did not commit Himself unto them, because He knew all men, 25 And needed not that any should testify of man: for He knew what was in man.
Nicodemus Visits Jesus At Night
John 3:1-21 King James Version (KJV) 1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: 2The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto Him, Rabbi, we know that Thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that Thou doest, except God be with Him. 3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4 Nicodemus saith unto Him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born? 5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. 8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
9 Nicodemus answered and said unto Him, How can these things be? 10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? 11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved. 18 He that believeth on Him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.
John The Baptist Tells More About Jesus
John 3:22-36 (KJV) 22 After these things came Jesus and His disciples into the land of Judaea; and there He tarried with them, and baptized. 23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized. 24 For John was not yet cast into prison.
25 Then there arose a question between some of John’s disciples and the Jews about purifying. 26 And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou barest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to Him. 27 John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven. 28 Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before Him. 29 He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.
30 He must increase, but I must decrease. 31 He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: He that cometh from heaven is above all. 32 And what he hath seen and heard, that he testifieth; and no man receiveth his testimony. 33 He that hath received his testimony hath set to his seal that God is true. 34 For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.
35 The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into His hand. 36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
1. Why did Jesus go to Jerusalem (John 2:13)? The Passover was near.
2. What did Jesus find in the temple (John 2:14)? Merchants and moneychangers.
3. Into what had these people made God’s house (John 2:16)? A house of merchandise, a marketplace.
4. Who asked for proof of Jesus’ authority to empty the temple (John 2:18)? The Jews that were there.
5. How did Jesus respond (John 2:19)? “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”
6. About what did the Jews believe Jesus was speaking (John 2:20)? The temple building which had been under construction for 46 years.
7. Why did many believe in Jesus’ name (John 2:23)? Because of the miracles they saw Him do.
8. What did Jesus tell Nicodemus (John 3:5)? Unless a man was born of water and Spirit he couldn’t enter the kingdom of God.
9. What was Jesus was talking about when He said “even so must the Son of man be lifted up” (John 3:14)? His crucifixion.
10. Why did Jesus need to be lifted up (John 3:15)? So that everyone who believed in Him could have eternal life.
11. According to John 3:16 who loved the world? God. Who did He give to the world? His only begotten Son. Why did He do this? So that whosever believed in His Son would not perish but have everlasting life.
12. According to John 3:17 why did God send His Son into the world? To save the world through His Son.
13. What does (sinful) man love (John 3:19a)? Darkness. Why (John 3:19b)? because their deeds are evil.
14. Who will come into the light (John3: 3:21)? Those who live by the truth.
15. What did Jesus and His disciples do in the Judean countryside (John 3:22)? They spent time together and baptized.
16. Into whose hand has God, the Father, placed on all things (John 3:35)? Jesus’ hands.
17. Who has eternal life (John 3:36a)? Those who believe in the Son.
18. Who will not see life (John 3:36b)? Those who reject the Son.
HEAR the WORD
There was a group of Jews at the temple the day Jesus went there. They didn’t hear (they misunderstood) what Jesus meant when He said to them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up”? Do you hear/understand what Jesus meant? (see John 2:21)
MEDITATE on the WORD
John 3:29-30 29 He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled. 30 He must increase, but I must decrease.
Who is the bride in this verse? Who is the bridegroom? Who is the friend?
John is speaking of the bride (the church) who belongs to Jesus (the bridegroom). John is the friend (sort of best man) who has been attending to Jesus, the bridegroom. John has been waiting and listening for Jesus. John is now full of joy because he has heard Jesus’ voice. And now John has completed his role (as best man) and his role must decrease as Jesus’ role of groom increases.
MEMORIZE the WORD
John 3:16-17 16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved.“
EASY MEMORIZATION DIRECTIONS
1. Copy a verse you want to memorize on three individual index cards.
2. Choose three places you frequently go to each day and place one of the memory cards in view.
3. Each time you find yourself near one of the memory cards read it aloud.
4. After a week of reading the memory cards you will most likely be able to recall the verse/s without reading them.
5. Try it for a week and find out.
LOVE AND LIVE the WORD
Our love for God will never be as great as His love is for us. God loved us so much He sacrificed His Son. We shouldn’t minimize the suffering Jesus experience in His life and in His death for us. Every day we should thank God for the love He offers us and continues to offer to the world.
TEACH AND SHARE the WORD
Maybe you’ve suffered hardship. Lack of money, lack of food, lack of shelter, lack of security, lack of love, etc. Jesus suffered it too. We sometimes cause hardships to others and ourselves when we sin. But Jesus was sinless. All He endured was because of us and for us.
PRAY the WORD
Lord, I pray we believers will honor Your house, our church (John 2:16). Thank You for loving us and sending us Your Son, Christ Jesus to give us eternal life (John 3:16). Thank You for sending Your Son Christ Jesus, to save the world (John 3:17). Lord, I pray we will live by Your truth and bring forth good deeds (John 3:21). In Christ Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN.
“May you and I share with others John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.”