01/05/21 THE WORD
Matthew 2:1-23; Luke 2:41-52
(If you cannot view this entire post just click on the title above.)
READ the WORD
Visitors Arrive From Eastern Lands
Matthew 2:1-12 KJV 1 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, 2 Saying, Where is He that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen His star in the east, and are come to worship Him.
3 When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him. 4 And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born. 5 And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet, 6 And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.
7 Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, enquired of them diligently what time the star appeared. 8 And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young Child; and when ye have found Him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship Him also.
9 When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young Child was. 10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy. 11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother, and fell down, and worshipped Him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto Him gifts: gold, and frankincense and myrrh. 12 And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way.
1. For whom were the Magi looking and why were they looking for Him (Matthew 2:1-2)?
2. What did the Magi give to the Child (Matthew 2:9-11)?
3. What was the angel’s warning to the Magi (Matthew 2:12)?
1. The Magi were looking for the king of the Jews because they had seen His star in the east, and sought to worship Him.
2. The Magi gave the Child gold, and frankincense and myrrh.
3. The angel warned the Magi that they should not return to Herod, so they departed into their own country another way.
The Escape To Egypt
Matthew 2:13- 18 13 And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young Child and His mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young Child to destroy Him.
14 When he arose, he took the young Child and His mother by night, and departed into Egypt: 15 And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called My Son.
16 Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently inquired of the wise men.
17 Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, saying, 18 In Rama was there a voice heard, lamentation, and weeping, and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children, and would not be comforted, because they are not.
1.What did the angel say to Joseph in a dream (Matthew 2:13)?
2.What did Joseph do in response to the angel (Matthew 2:14)?
3.How did King Herod react when the Magi didn’t return to him (Matthew 2:16)?
1. “Arise, and take the young Child and His mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young Child to destroy Him.”
2. Joseph took the young Child and His mother by night, and departed into Egypt.
3. King Herod was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently inquired of the wise men.
The Return To Nazareth
Matthew 2:19-23 19 But when Herod was dead, behold, an angel of the Lord appeareth in a dream to Joseph in Egypt, 20 Saying, Arise, and take the young Child and His mother, and go into the land of Israel: for they are dead which sought the young Child’s life. 21 And he arose, and took the young Child and His mother, and came into the land of Israel. 22 But when he heard that Archelaus did reign in Judaea in the room of his father Herod, he was afraid to go thither: notwithstanding, being warned of God in a dream, he turned aside into the parts of Galilee: 23 And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.
Question: Where did Joseph, Mary and Jesus settle (Matthew 2:23)?
Answer: They settled in Nazareth of Galilee.
Jesus Speaks With The Religious Teachers
Luke 2:41-52 KJV 41 Now His (Jesus’) parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover. 42 And when He was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast. 43 And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the Child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it. 44 But they, supposing Him to have been in the company, went a day’s journey; and they sought Him among their kinsfolk and acquaintance. 45 And when they found Him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking Him.
46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions. 47 And all that heard Him were astonished at His understanding and answers. 48 And when they saw Him, they were amazed: and His mother said unto Him, Son, why hast Thou thus dealt with us? behold, Thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing. 49 And He said unto them, How is it that ye sought Me? wist ye not that I must be about My Father’s business? 50 And they understood not the saying which He spake unto them. 51 And He went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but His mother kept all these sayings in her heart. 52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.
1. What did Jesus’ parents do every year (Luke 2:41)?
2. How old was Jesus when He was left behind (Luke 2:42)?
3. What happened (Luke 2:43)?
4. What did Jesus’ parents believe had happened (Luke 2:44)?
5. When they missed Him what did His parents do (Luke 2:45)?
6. Where did they find Jesus (Luke 2:46)?
7. What reason did Jesus give to His parents for staying behind (Luke 2:48-49)?
8. Then what did Jesus do (Luke 2:51)?
9. What does verse 52 say about Jesus (Luke 2:52)?
1. Jesus’ parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover.
2. Jesus was twelve when He was left behind.
3. Though His parents left, the Child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; but Joseph and his mother didn’t realize Jesus had stayed behind.
4. Jesus’ parents believed Jesus was among the family group. They traveled a day’s journey before they realizing Jesus was not with the group.
5. When they didn’t find Jesus, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking Him.
6. After three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.
7. Jesus said, “How is it that ye sought Me? wist ye not that I must be about My Father’s business?”
8. Jesus went down with His parents, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them.
9. Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.
HEAR the WORD
Do you know the Magi didn’t visit baby Jesus in the manger? Though Jesus, Joseph and Mary were still in Bethlehem, they were living in a home by the time the Magi arrived (Matthew 2:11).
MEDITATE on the WORD
Oh! Wow! A star led the Magi to where Jesus was. Who created this special star to lead the Magi (see Matthew 2:2, 9)?
MEMORIZE the WORD
Matthew 2:2 WEB “Where is He who is born King of the Jews? For we saw His star in the east, and have come to worship Him.”
EASY MEMORIZATION DIRECTIONS
1. Copy a verse you want to memorize on three individual index cards.
2. Choose three places you frequently go to each day and place one of the memory cards in view in each place.
3. Each time you find yourself near one of the memory cards read it aloud.
4. After a week of reading the memory cards you will most likely be able to recall the verse/s without reading them.
5. Try it for a week and find out.
LOVE and LIVE the WORD
The Magi brought gifts and worshipped Jesus for who He was. How do you and I worship our Lord? Are we willing to give Him what is valuable to us? We should worship God because He is the perfect, just and almighty Creator of the universe. He is worthy of the best we have to give. When we found Jesus did we allow Him to lead us a different way from the way we had been going? We should have.
TEACH and SHARE the WORD
Do you know that there is no mention of the exact number of Magi who came to see Jesus? Why do most people believe it was three? (a hint: Matthew 2:11).
PRAY the WORD
Lord, I pray we will worship You for who You are (Matthew 2:2). I pray we will give everything to You. You are worthy of the best of everything (Matthew 2:11). Lord, I pray we will turn from sin and follow You. In Christ Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN.
“May you and I respond to Jesus as the Magi did. By giving Jesus our best.” <>< Dona