(If you cannot view this entire post just click on the title above.)
READ the WORD
An Angel Appears To Joseph
Matthew 1:18-2518 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as His mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with Child of the Holy Ghost. 19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily.
20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. 21 And she shall bring forth a Son, and thou shalt call His name Jesus: for He shall save His people from their sins.
22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, 23 Behold, a virgin shall be with Child, and shall bring forth a Son, and they shall call His name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
24 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife: 25 And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn Son: and he called His name Jesus.
Jesus Is Born In Bethlehem
Luke 2:1-7 And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed. 2 (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.) 3 And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city. 4 And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:) 5 To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with Child.
6 And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered. 7 And she brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling clothes, and laid Him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.
Shepherds Visit Jesus
Luke 2:8-20 8 And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. 9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. 10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. 11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. 12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the Babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, 14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
15 And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us. 16 And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the Babe lying in a manger. 17 And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this Child. 18 And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds. 19 But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart. 20 And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.
Mary And Joseph Bring Jesus To The Temple
Luke 2:21-4021 And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the Child, His name was called Jesus, which was so named of the angel before He was conceived in the womb. 22 And when the days of her (Mary’s) purification according to the law of Moses were accomplished, they brought Him to Jerusalem, to present Him to the Lord; 23 (As it is written in the law of the Lord, Every male that openeth the womb shall be called holy to the Lord;) 24 And to offer a sacrifice according to that which is said in the law of the Lord, A pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons.
25 And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him. 26 And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord’s Christ. 27 And he came by the Spirit into the temple: and when the parents brought in the Child Jesus, to do for Him after the custom of the law, 28 Then took he Him up in his arms, and blessed God, and said, 29 Lord, now lettest thou Thy servant depart in peace, according to Thy word: 30 For mine eyes have seen Thy salvation, 31 Which Thou hast prepared before the face of all people; 32 A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of Thy people Israel.
33 And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of Him. 34 And Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary His mother, Behold, this Child is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel; and for a sign which shall be spoken against; 35 (Yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also,) that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.
36 And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity; 37 And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day. 38 And she coming in that instant gave thanks likewise unto the Lord, and spake of Him to all them that looked for redemption in Jerusalem.
39 And when they had performed all things according to the law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their own city Nazareth. 40 And the Child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon Him.
STUDY the WORD
1. What was Joseph’s first response to finding out Mary was pregnant (Matthew 1:18-19)? Not willing to make her a public example, Joseph was considering divorcing her without publicity.
2. What happened to change his plan (Matthew 1:20-21)? An angel appeared and told Joseph to not be afraid to take Mary as his wife for the baby was placed within her by the Holy Spirit. That the baby would be named Jesus and save His people from their sins.
3. What was the prophecy that would be fulfilled (Matthew 1:22-23)? “Behold, a virgin shall be with Child, and shall bring forth a Son, and they shall call His name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.”
4. What does the name Immanuel mean (Matthew 1:23)? God with us.
5. What did Joseph do (Matthew 1:24)? He took Mary as his wife.
6. What did Joseph not do (Matthew 1:25)? Joseph knew Mary not till she had brought forth her firstborn Son.
7. Why did Joseph leave Nazareth and travel to Bethlehem (Luke 2:1-4)? Joseph went to Bethlehem to pay His taxes.
8. What was Mary’s condition during their journey to Bethlehem (Luke 2:5)? Mary was pregnant.
9. What happened after Joseph and Mary arrived (Luke 2:6-7)? Mary gave birth to Jesus.
10. Where were the shepherds and what happened? (Luke 2:8-9)? The shepherds were out in a field watching after their sheep when an angel appeared to them.
11. What was the message give to the shepherds (Luke 2:10-12)? “Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the Babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.”
12. Who joined the angel and what did they do (Luke 2:13-14)? A multitude of heavenly host joined with the angel in praising God.
13. What did the shepherds decide to do (Luke 2:15)? The shepherds decided to go to Bethlehem and see what had come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto them.
14. Where did the shepherds find Mary, Joseph and the babe (Luke 2:16)? The shepherds found Mary, Joseph and the Baby in a manger.
15. What did Mary do with her thoughts (Luke 2:19)? Mary pondered all that had happened in her heart.
16. What did the shepherds do (Luke 2:20)? The shepherds left and glorified and praised God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.
17. Why was Jesus taken to Jerusalem (Luke 2:22-24a)? Jesus was taken to Jerusalem to be presented to the Lord and for His parents to offer a sacrifice.
18. Who took Jesus in his arms and blessed God (Luke 2:25-32)? Simeon took Jesus in his arms and blessed God. It was revealed unto Simeon by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord’s Christ.
19. Who else gave thanks to the Lord (Luke 2:36-38)? Anna, a prophetess, gave thanks to the Lord.
20. After Joseph and Mary completed all things according to the law of the Lord where did they go (Luke 2:39)? They traveled to Nazareth of Galilee.
21. What happened to Jesus (Luke 2:40)? Jesus grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon Him.
HEAR the WORD
Luke 2:12 “And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.”
MEDITATE on the WORD
In Luke 2:12 what do you understand “a sign” to mean?Perhaps you have time to check out some commentaries online concerning this particular verse if you need clarity, I did.
John Gill’s Exposition of the Bible (online commentary) says: And this shall be a sign unto you (the shepherds when you arrived in Bethlehem), ye (the shepherds) shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger; for though there might be many other children, in the inn, yet none else in swaddling clothes, at least lying in a manger: this sign would distinguish the new born Saviour from all others; had not the angel given them this direction, they would never have thought to have looked for, and found Him (Jesus) in such a place: and moreover, it might have been a stumbling to them, and an objection with them against His being Christ, the Lord, had they not been told beforehand where He was; but by this means this objection was prevented, and this stumbling block was removed out of the way, and they were prepared to see Him, embrace, and believe in Him …
MEMORIZE the WORD
Matthew 1:23 KJV “Behold, a virgin shall be with Child, and shall bring forth a Son, and they shall call His name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.”
Luke 2:10-12 KJV And the angel said unto them, “Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the Babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.”
EASY MEMORIZATION DIRECTIONS
1. Copy a verse you want to memorize on three individual index cards.
2. Choose three places you frequently go to each day and place one of the memory cards in view in each place.
3. Each time you find yourself near one of the memory cards read it aloud.
4. After a week of reading the memory cards you will most likely be able to recall the verse/s without reading them.
5. Try it for a week and find out.
LOVE and LIVE the WORD
Just like in Jesus’ family, our relatives differ in personality, faith and behavior. But neither our relatives’ past nor our own past should prevent us from being our best and following God wherever He leads.
TEACH and SHARE the WORD
Because we cannot save ourselves, God sent us a Savior. No matter how good we think we are, we cannot eliminate the sin nature within us, so we definitely need Jesus to do so.Whether you’re old or young, rich or poor, male or female Jesus, our Savior, came into this world for each of us.
PRAY the WORD
Lord, I pray we will trust You with our thoughts, our feelings and our needs because You have been where we are now and You have the ability to help us. Lord, I pray we will always seek wisdom from You before making any decision that will affect others. Lord, I pray we will display the admirable qualities of righteousness, discretion, sensitivity, responsiveness to You and self-discipline that Joseph displayed in Matthe1:19-25. Thank You Lord for sending us a Savior, Emmanuel, God with us, Christ the Lord. In His name I pray. AMEN.